M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the reason for the military changing.the rear sight from the old lock-bar to its current setup?
I am thinking of changing it to a lockbar just cuz i think it looks better. the one i have now sounds like dirt is in it GI8. plus it looks and feels like the orginal. so with that my options are
1. clean the one i got now.(Still getting great shotsGI6)
2. buy new rear sight gear?(maybe change it for old style?)
Sights now (rear-sight) sounds of dirt in gears when moved during sight-in.also moves from side-side slightly?
would it be better to tear down sight now. clean it with brush and some sort of solivent.(all this but still getting good shot patterenGI6) but shot patteren does show side-side movment 0.5-1.0 (unsure of what to do???GI8)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Easier sight changes. It ain't easy or quick to change settings on a lock-bar. Once the bar is tightened down, your sights ain't gonna move until you loosen that bar. Under battfield conditions I can see where it might cause some "issues". The newer sights usually are very good at holding their settings unless the serations on the receiver are worn, in that case most guys will try the lockbar to see if they can get them to quit moving. I might suggest you take your rear sight apart, clean it and lube it a bit to see if that cures your problems. As far as sise to side movement are you talking about the rear apperature? If so try a different or new spring cover to start with. You may then need to start switching out rear apps. until you find one that fits "tight". HTH

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool tanks:tcaf
I am a bit nervous about taking sight apart cuz i never done it. but i'am going to try and clean it first. still mite go with lock bar though in the future. pending on the out come?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sir, it's really not as hard as it may seem. You'll need 2 screwdrivers, both flatheads. Place the larger one in the slot on the elevation knob and the smaller one in the slot on the windage knob. Turn the windage knob screwdriver counterclockwise to loosen that screw. When it's all the way loose you can then pull the pinion out thru the elevation side after removing the windage knob. The rear app. will then lift right out. Take your larger scredriver and put it in the hole of the rear spring cover, lift up smartly and the rear spring cover will pop right off. Done. The link below will also guide you thru it. HTH

http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/rsdisassembly/index.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts