M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Springfield M1A with the serial number X004. Does anyone know the history of this Gun with this series of serial numbers?
I have many more pictures. Let me know if you would like me to post a pic of any other specific part. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Wow!

Have a look at the barrel. Please list all of the marking on the barrel, and show some pix if possible.

Nice pick up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are however some small markings on the bolt. It also looks like if i took the bolt out, I could see another set of numbers behind the magwell area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Barrel does say Winchester on it. I was told it was 1 of 10 tooling samples for the Springfield company and the X in Ser# X004 stands for experimental. Can anyone verify this? I can't seem to find much and cannot get a hold of Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm jealous.

Nice Find!! SAI should be able to fill you in with when built and if that X thing actually is the real deal.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
or call Elmer Ballance down in Texas see if he can recall the rifle

if it is in fact a Devine and not a Geneseo

This used to be Elmer's number if it hasn't changed 830-663-5105.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember this gun, X004, being on Gunbroker for some outrageous price over a year ago. I am pretty sure this was the gun in my Oct 2011 post, here is a link:

http://m14forum.com/m14/105006-interesting-gunbroker-auction.html

Here is another one:

http://m14forum.com/m14/106186-elusive-x-serial-numbered-m1a-gb.html

Good to see a forum member now has possession of it; maybe we will find out it's true history over time. Jabberwookie, tell me you did not pay $6000 for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts