M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife started deer hunting with me several years and is a pretty good shot with her .30.30 . She told me she wanted to start going to the range with me. She is a small woman ,only 5' tall, so I thought an AR 15 would be a good rifle for her. We started looking a few weeks ago and she looked at several ARs. Sat we went to a Gun Store and she saw this Mini 14. She got her hands wraped around it and said this it.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Nice.

I've tried to get various girlfriends into guns and have almost routinely failed. Partly it's because I don't have anything......girl-friendly. A 20 gauge shotgun. Or .22 rifle. Or a larger caliber rifle (like an AR) with a very straight stock so there's less upkick.

Never thought about a mini. Let us know how she likes it and if she stays with it. Though if she's using a .30-30, she's already pretty far ahead.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My wife also just got a mini (mini14 though). She trained with a 10/22 with tech sights, so an AR didn't feel right to her (darn DI5), so I showed her the mini and she loves it because it looks like mine but pint-sized, and feels like a "real rifle" to her. I couldn't be more proud of her (and her 226 on appleseed AQT with the 10/22) we are going to an appleseed this weekend to see how she does with her mini14.. I'm sure you're lady will like hers, Fine firearms, and ladies too DI2

everyone should be so lucky to have their ladies shoot with em!

·
Registered
569 Posts
She made a good choice you cant go rong with a Mini14 its an all around handy and fun little rifle. She should be very happy with it, cause I know I am happy with mine.

Good Shooting.

TXS

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got her out to the range today with her Mini. She did real good. Once I got her zeroed the only problem I had was to get her off the range. She's hooked. Now I can pretty much buy anything I want for shooting, I just have to buy 2 of em.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Need a woman like that. Mine just wants to stay home and bake. That's nice, but it's not as much fun to shoot by yourself.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
oh gosh, i was in the gun store the other day looking at ammo. this kid (about 20 years) has this stick figure of a girlfriend with him (were talking 90 lbs max) and he grabs a 12 gage R870 and says "this is your best bet for home defense) I had to bite my tounge from saying "dude buy her a ruger LCPink" she's gonna shoot that shotgun once and decide shed rather be attacked.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
oh gosh, i was in the gun store the other day looking at ammo. this kid (about 20 years) has this stick figure of a girlfriend with him (were talking 90 lbs max) and he grabs a 12 gage R870 and says "this is your best bet for home defense) I had to bite my tounge from saying "dude buy her a ruger LCPink" she's gonna shoot that shotgun once and decide shed rather be attacked.
My dad has an LCP. Despite being the weakest caliber in the house, that is the ANGRIEST pistol we have! "Ain't no" plinker...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My dad has an LCP. Despite being the weakest caliber in the house, that is the ANGRIEST pistol we have! "Ain't no" plinker...

I'm sure it has a sharp bark. But that 12 is going to make that little girl think she was kicked by a mule, I don't care how tight she holds it into her shoulder. In my experience, pistol recoil from all but the largest calibers is easily acclimated to, with some competent training. Hell, I'm equally as sure she could be trained to handle a 12. But persons of small stature are smacked by heavy recoil in ways that I'm not.

ETA: My assumption was that the 870 was a 12 ga. Possibly it was not.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm sure it has a sharp bark. But that 12 is going to make that little girl think she was kicked by a mule, I don't care how tight she holds it into her shoulder. In my experience, pistol recoil from all but the largest calibers is easily acclimated to, with some competent training. Hell, I'm equally as sure she could be trained to handle a 12. But persons of small stature are smacked by heavy recoil in ways that I'm not.

ETA: My assumption was that the 870 was a 12 ga. Possibly it was not.
I've seen girls handle 12 gauges fine but then hand em an 1886 with Buffalo Bore .45-70 and suddenly she gets mad...

Yea I know, not comparable :p

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've seen girls handle 12 gauges fine but then hand em an 1886 with Buffalo Bore .45-70 and suddenly she gets mad...

Yea I know, not comparable :p
Yeah, handling a 12 ga is kind of a stature thing. Somebody under 100 lbs will take a beating from any type of high brass/full loads. I like .45/70 too. All mine handle BB 405's fine though I shoot those only at meat. Two Marlin 1895's, a Cowboy & a Standard with the 22" round barrel & Zeiss glass plus an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic. I put a Lyman tang sight on that one, the range of those rounds with irons is impressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.