M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The safety on my new SAI std is pretty stiff. I popped out the trigger group and noticed as I engage the safety the hammer is slightly drawn back leaving me to believe there isn't really anything I can do to lighten the safety. Are there any tricks?

Is this just a characteristic of the rifle?

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Don't!

The M14/M1A safety can/must/should only be engaged when the hammer is cocked. Attempting to engage the safety without the hammer cocked may damage (break off the tip of) the safety. (Or so goes the tale.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ditto, don't touch the safety hook edge/tip; the hammer must be lowered as the safety is engaged (hammer sear to trigger sear displacement since the trigger in not locked back).

But, the safety is a stamped part so the bottom edge of the stamping will have cut burs. Leaving the engagement hook tip alone, clean up the outer edge of the safety with a stone. Also take a look at the housing slot channel for the safety in regards to milling edge burs. And, don’t forget to check the safety spring edge for binding against the housing as well. With just the safety and safety spring in the housing only, the safety should move smoothly back and forth (spring tension against the detents only. When it’s all said and done, don’t forget to re-grease the parts before reinstalling.

Simply put, there will be some resistance of the hammer being lowered, but the burs of the parts (safety, spring, housing channel) can be polished out to allow the safety to be engaged/disengaged a lot smoother.

Or, you can just pick a night of TV and work the safety on/off a few hundred times to allow the parts to self-polish out on there own.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dano523 said:
Or, you can just pick a night of TV and work the safety on/off a few hundred times to allow the parts to self-polish out on there own.
I've been doing just that and man my finger tips are soreGI4 I think I'll wait until I shoot the bejesus out of it before I find the guts to do any stoning in the trigger group. Maybe it just might wear in a bit on it's own.

I know not to engage the safety on a non cocked M1A. But thanks for pointing that out in case I didn't.

Thanks for the help.GI6

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been doing just that and man my finger tips are soreGI4 I think I'll wait until I shoot the bejesus out of it before I find the guts to do any stoning in the trigger group. Maybe it just might wear in a bit on it's own.

I know not to engage the safety on a non cocked M1A. But thanks for pointing that out in case I didn't.

Thanks for the help.GI6
just joined this forum. Any results on the safety loosening up?

·
Registered
867 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts