M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Lessee. . . . I'm a native Texan, happily married with two grown kids, one big dog, live just west of Houston in the Katy area and work downtown in the oil patch as a GIS analyst.

I've been using firearms since I was twelve. Started with a Remington 550 .22LR hunting squirrels with my great uncles and never looked back. I'm really partial to rifles, shotguns and pistols. ICONSMILE
I don't hunt any more - guess I turned into a softy as I got older. But if it's paper, steel, clay pigeons, plastic, gel or zombies, I'm game.

I've been resisting the M1A bug for a while. About a year ago I got to shoot one at my local range and was bitten pretty bad (what a nice shooting rifle)! It's finally getting to the point that I've got to scratch that itch, and what better place to get info and answers than the M14 forum?

Hopefully I won't be too big an ass with the never-ending questions. See you 'round the site. . . .

David
------
NRA Member
TSRA Member

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome from MN. Before you got the M1A bug, what was your favorite rifle(s)?

Reactions: On An Island

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I suppose more info might be helpful. I don't know what level of M1A I shot, but it was nicely balanced, full-length barrel, wood stock, open sights (non-hooded) and had a shorty magazine hanging out. That's about all I remember other than how well it shot at 100 yards.

After a lot of lurking and reading and drooling I'm thinking about starting with an SAI loaded, cm barrel and a wood stock. Figure that will save me doing some of the early mods that show up in posts, and I like wood stocks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi evilgrin,

My current favorite is a Remington 700 VLS in .204 Ruger with a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 on NF rings and mounts, Timney trigger. You can drive tacks with it at 2-300 yards and shoot all day as the recoil is nothing.

Longtime favorite? Winchester '94 in .30-30. It's just a lot of fun to shoot that old gun.

Favorite plinker? Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome from Kingwood, TX

I also work Downtown for KBR, System analyst, Let me know if you'd like to meet up someday.I need to take my M1A out & I hate to shoot alone!

I have plenty of ammo that we can burn up at the range too!

Howard

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
David,

Welcome to the forum. If you have not been to Bayou Rifles down in Juliff, come down on the 2nd weekend of Oct during the TSRA Mid Range Championship, you will meet a few forum members that weekend and most likely they will be shooting their 14s.

If you are in the market for a 14 type rifle, check out the James River Armory website. You will be much happier if you were to get one of theirs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.