M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, this past July 1 the new mag restriction laws went into affect..Limit is 15 rounds. I am pleased to report most Colorado Sheriffs don't plan on even trying to enforce these idiotic laws....Also, just over the border in Wyoming you can purchase any mag you need, and bring them back to Colorado without fear...I drove up there this morning to Jensen Arms outlet in Cheyenne an they have tons of quality high cap mags ...Tim

5,445 Posts
I would only like to add one thing to this topic... be careful... very careful.

Just because a Sheriff says he doesn't agree/won't enforce this law doesn't mean his patrol personnel (or other law enforcement agencies) won't arrest/cite/file a criminal complaint against someone they catch with 20+ round mags.

Discretion is the better part of Valor.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would only like to add one thing to this topic... be careful... very careful.

Just because a Sheriff says he doesn't agree/won't enforce this law doesn't mean his patrol personnel (or other law enforcement agencies) won't arrest/cite/file a criminal complaint against someone they catch with 20+ round mags.

Discretion is the better part of Valor.
You are absolutely right...If I were to purchase mags in Wyoming, I would destroy the receipt for the drive home...Luckily there are no date codes on mags, and having ones purchased before July1 in your possession is not a crime...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
As some of you know, this past July 1 the new mag restriction laws went into affect..Limit is 15 rounds. I am pleased to report most Colorado Sheriffs don't plan on even trying to enforce these idiotic laws....Also, just over the border in Wyoming you can purchase any mag you need, and bring them back to Colorado without fear...I drove up there this morning to Jensen Arms outlet in Cheyenne an they have tons of quality high cap mags ...Tim
I was just in jensen arms store yesterday as they are in the same complex as a store i deliver to. I stop by there often. I actually just asked them yesterday if they still do that wyoming sale and of course as you know they do. I didnt really want to drive 4 hours round trip to buy CMI m14 mags for 29$ each but if someone in colorado really needed them its a good option

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
But of course no one would break the law DI2

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Luckily there are no date codes on mags
For M14 magazines, true for the most part. Thermold magazines and some (not all) CMI magazines manufactured from late 1996 to late 2008 (yes, two thousand eight) had the LEO / Government / Date stamping.

Some AR15 / M16 magazines have date stampings as well, e.g., Colt twenty round magazines.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
You guys are making a trip up to Wyoming sound like...sneaking into Juarez in the old days...kinda 'dirty'!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
15 Posts
Under the provisions of CRS 18-12-301 (as revised), a large capacity magazine is defined as

(2)(a) LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE MEANS
(I) A FIXED OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, BOX, DRUM, FEED STRIP, OR
SIMILAR DEVICE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT IS DESIGNED TO BE
READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT,
MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF
AMMUNITION;

That's one of the reasons most of the CO sheriffs were protesting. Under the strict definition, any magazine with a removable baseplate is illegal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NOT "HIGH CAPACITY" Mags

Let's watch our language. It is the basis of winning minds. 20 round mags are "normal" for the M1A. They are not "high capacity". 5 and 10 rounds are low capacity. 50 or more would be high capacity.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is sad to me that in 2013, my neighbors to the west must resort to secrecy and smuggling in order to enjoy their natural rights as human beings that the second amendment recognizes. You guys keep pushing back in CO. Just keep pushing. It is great what you have done in the recalls. Be safe and keep it on the down-low until you have your freedoms restored. Not everyone watching this site is our friends.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OP, it starts as small legislation and then suddenly we find ourselves agreeing to the confiscations that NYC gunowners are dealing with. Look at California, we are in a world of $#*% and they keep passing more idiotic legislation that does nothing to stem violence, it simply criminalizes law abiding citizens and lets people who know nothing about firearms feel better about themselves, a public placebo.

15 rnds, sure, but suddenly they think, well, let's do 10 rnds (those dirtbags named Klebold & Harris used 10 rnders) and then before you know it, 5 rnds, that's the solution, because then nothing tragic will happen, oh, expect for those pressure cookers & box cutters still running around doing evil..... Look at CA's waiting periods, it's gone from 3 days to 5 days to 15 days and now they have settled on 10 days, as if that is some magical number....

I agree with the statement above, the Sheriffs "may" turn a blind eye, but over zealous rookies and DAs will love they attention and media circus surrounding the capture of evil 30 rnd mags.

It's hard for law abiding citizens like myself to accept this, but that's just what we are, law abiding and many of us have families. These laws should have never been passed, they are completely against 2A and these politicians have elevated themselves to a position where they think they are above the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. It is intolerable.

On one shining note, bravo on the recalls. Stand and fight today, because if you don't you'll be criminalized simply for being an American who understands and respects his/her Rights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are absolutely right...If I were to purchase mags in Wyoming, I would destroy the receipt for the drive home...Luckily there are no date codes on mags, and having ones purchased before July1 in your possession is not a crime...
... and pay cash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts