M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, after getting back from this last deployment I have decided that I need an M14/M1A, but after a new car and a Tempura Pedic bed and Christmas as well as a Boxer puppy for my daughter all that deployment money (New gun fund) is gone. So once I get that check back from Uncle Sam in my tax return I would like to pick up my first rifle. Now the question is; Which would you go with a new Scout squad or a new Standard. This gun will be a basic fun gun. I think I will hook it up to an acog as that is the optic I am most familar with. I am planning on taking this gun to the range and just general plinking. I am not a big hunter but if I did choose to go I would like to be able to use this gun as well.
While down range I was shooting a SR25 7.62Nato out to 500 to 800 while I was working with an ODA. So getting back to it, I would like to know if the extra few inches of barrel length makes that much of a difference ( obviously out to the 800m range is would make a huge difference but I dont plan on shooting out that far very often if ever.) So for basic target shooting and a fun gun would a Standard or a Scout Squad be more suited for me.
Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think for what you intend to use the rifle for the scout will suit you fine, my 1st M1A was a standard because I'm a traditionalist, but the scout is more than up to the tasks you intend to use it for,and I think it has a slightly more "crazy" look to it with the shorted barrel. But if you go to 600 yards + thats where the extra 4" on the standard comes into play, I think the best thing you can do is, if your gun shop has both, is to hold both and see what feels better to you. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I say go standard. Since you won't be hauling it around on a hunt, the standard will fill the role nicely.
But, if you go acog, then the traditional acog will mount kind of high on either. If you want a scope, do the standard. If you want a forwarded mounted red dot, go scout or bush.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
You say you want a "fun" gun and may want to hunt with it. I went with an older model Bush. It's basically a Scout but doesn't have the scope mount on the barrel. To me it's a lot handier than a 22" barrel. In middle and east Tennessee I don't think you can go further than 500 yards without getting to a tree line. Be sure to watch the PX here, a lot of good deals come through. Especially after you just bought a rifle GI2

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For a first/primary I would go with the scout/bush. I bought a standard years ago and enjoy it immensely, however, in the back country and on the atv the shorter scout is more convenient.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
My Scout sees the most use of any of my M-14's

+1! I shoot my Bush turned Scout more than my other m14 type rifles. Very handy and a lot of fun without worrying about that extra 4" of barrel, which gets in the way more than you'd think on a fun gun. I'm also having two more Bush length rifles built. Just like that size.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i would say get the standard if you are asking that question. it sounds like for what you want the gun for it would not make a difference in the "function" or POU of the gun........so just get the original model of M14....i.e. get the one that has the classic good looks of the historical M14. dont get me wrong, the scout looks cool.....but usually people that get the scout are people that already have an idea in mind for why they want a short barreled M14.

you can just never go wrong with the standard. i would even get a GI stock for it and lugged flash suppressor to give it the classic M14 look.

p.s.
M1As are addicting, so there is a chance you might want another one. but for your first rifle you should get a standard. i hear all the time, people buying a scout, and then wishing they had bought the standard or want a standard next.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Over the years, I've owned one Super Match, a few standards and a Scout. So far, I have had way more fun from the Scout. However, I believe that is due to finding this website and gut-wrecking the innards to find out how they all tick. Wish I would have done that 30 years ago. Anyways, both the standard and Scout are fun. It's what you make of it.

Currently, I'm building a folder for my Scout that is surely to be fun on a 4-wheeler bouncing down thru the woods to our shootin' gallery. Seems there's always one cool project or another for it. That said, I have ordered an LRB with a 22" barrel for fun at the range. It's project will be fitting a stock to it.

I need both sizes and you do too. Just pick which one comes first!

·
Registered
140 Posts
i bought a ss loaded first & then a bush rifle later on. i love the bush it balances and handels better, all the way around. im probably going to have my loaded rebarled to the bush size. whatever you do im sure you will have one heck of a rifle when your done. as you can't go wrong with the m14/m1a series of rifles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Thanks alot for your input

I really appreciate all the input guys. I am leaning toward the Scout Squad because it has the integrated rail. I really like that feature. But the Standards that I have handled feel great as well. This is a tough one, I am planning on building an AR 15 rifle next year.
What is the range/accuracy difference in the two weapons.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
you dont have to decide on the scout just because it has a rail on it. you can add your own. like this Ultimak rail which is actually better because you can co-witness the irons through the optic.

another reason i like the standard model is that it comes with a chrome lined barrel. i like chrome because you can clean more sparingly....you dont always have to be oiling your barrel to prevent rust.

im not really sure about the range difference in the two but i think the real difference is going to be your sight radius being better on the standard.........that is if you plan on using open sights.

i guess the main reason i like the standard barrel is that the 22" is already considered "chopped down" for the .308 round. even with a 22", there is still a lot of unburnt powder coming out of the muzzle. with the cost of .308 these days, i like to get every pennies worth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went with the scout just out of preference/aestetics.

All the info I can find seems to show that the velocity loss between the scout and standard is minimal. I only have one source, and his data shows a minor 20fps loss. Hopefully some other members have chrono results, but i havnt been able to search them up.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
+1 on the Utimak integral rail. I installed one on my Bush rifle, a much appreciated improvement that also facilitates the mounting of accessories like lights, lasers and of course optics. On the rifles that I'm having built in the Scout/Bush configuration I went with the chrome lined offering from Criterion, a modern high quality 18" barrel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think it will matter which you get first, you will probably get the other second.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kinda funny

Guys are worried about red dot scopes etc..

The rifle (i.e. 22 inch barrel), was designed for all infantry situations (that and the M1 Garand)...

With a standard sight system, it will do all any one can ask... the bells and whistles will only make a FNG feel better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right On Guys.

I really appreciate the input. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
OF COURSE you're asking which to get FIRST! I'd never be without a classic full sized rifle but have to admit the ones getting used the most are the short ones. The main advantage for long range work between 18 and 22 inches is the advantage increased sight radius gives you. Velocity picks up of course but four inches is just not that much difference. Now once you drop from 22 to 16(as in Socom) you can show up to a 200fps drop in mv and THAT is a big difference. At least that's my experience. I'd probably go with the Scout but it's not a big deal: you'll buy a long one within a couple years!

·
Registered
342 Posts
just a note of interest--

you dont have to decide on the scout just because it has a rail on it. you can add your own. like this Ultimak rail which is actually better because you can co-witness the irons through the optic.

another reason i like the standard model is that it comes with a chrome lined barrel. i like chrome because you can clean more sparingly....you dont always have to be oiling your barrel to prevent rust.

im not really sure about the range difference in the two but i think the real difference is going to be your sight radius being better on the standard.........that is if you plan on using open sights.

i guess the main reason i like the standard barrel is that the 22" is already considered "chopped down" for the .308 round. even with a 22", there is still a lot of unburnt powder coming out of the muzzle. with the cost of .308 these days, i like to get every pennies worth.
-
just a note of possible interest to some-
the new standards do not have chrome lined barrels as sai has ran out of gi barrels and are putting on criterion barrels who are made by krieger. i think you have to special order a chrome lined barrel on a standard as my 2009 vintage standard does not have a chrome lined barrel. it is the rifle on the far right below of my four.
bhk308

1 - 20 of 34 Posts