M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FNG in their mid-20s here with an M1A standard I bought a few months ago. It starting out not performing as well as I hoped (well, it wasn't a match-grade so it performed as expected in terms of groups). But, as someone has once said before, accurate rifles are more interesting. So, I did some upgrades, mainly a Badger spring guide and a unitized gas block, which helped incredibly. Cut group sizes nearly in half (3" to <1.5" inches or so at 100yds) with some match handloads. Made my day when I finally got them groups.

So far I have invested in the thing:
McCann scope mount
Sightron SII 4-16x42mm scope
YHM flash hider with front sight
Springfield unitized gas block
Tubbs Speedlock spring set
Schuster adjustable gas plug
Badger spring guide
Blackhawk cheek pad
Lots of handloading

Anyway, cheers!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I warms my heart to see a shooter that isn't afraid to spent some money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it has not been one of the cheaper guns I've bought, but it seems well worth it. I have also picked up the Duff and Miller book, a SA multi-tool, a Sadlak gas cylinder wrench, a Harris bipod, and a set of Tubb's 308 final finish bullets, which I'm not sure if I'll use yet. Was also debating getting it bedded in the walnut, or keeping the stock original and getting another one to bed (if necessary). Here is a pic of it in it's current configuration (well, i tried, but am unable to upload anything).

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well when you do figure out how to load pics, I for one would like to see it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome! You'll probably find that improvement will come with practice. If at all possible, get to a high-power match somewhere where I'm sure you'll meet at least one person who does, or used to, shoot the M14/M1A in competition. They are most always happy to help you out.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Welcome aboard, bricktop, if you are looking for more ideas you have come to the correct place. GI2 I am sure you will enjoy the forums and being here with us, have fun.

-

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome and nice rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts