M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabelas has 500 rds for $189 and free shipping. Anyone have experience w/ this ammo- gonna p/u my M1A Scout in 2 hours........Also, could'nt tell if steel core or ? bullets, gotta know cuz of range restrictions. Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
622 Posts
Rebadged russian steel case junk(oops I mean ammo :), try to avoid steel case ammo. I have no problems with steel cased ammo in cheap soviet style weapons but the M14 deserves better. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Herters

I would not even let it get close to any of my rifles.

I know that some people have had good luck with it & I emphasize the word "luck".

Not for me or mine.

Just my 2 cents.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Russian steel: somehow I just can't get my arms around Russian arsenals being our friends. Stay away from that stuff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I shoot Wolf in my SKS, that's about it. Wouldn't want to feed any to my M1A if I had any other option.

I have had personal experience with steel-case ammo in my earlier days. First was with some .380 for my Bersa Thunder. JAM-O-MATIC, anyone? No, it wasn't the gun. The Bersa may be a PPK "clone," but mine at least (circa 2001) is a very reliable arm when fed with quality ammo.

Second was with my first 9mm. Okay, well, it was a Glock so it ate it the one box I had of it no problem. But I'm not gonna push my luck, especially as it's my CCW gun.

Cost for that Herter's is about $0.38 a pop, if I do my math right. Cheaper Than Dirt has a deal on some good German surplus for about $86 for 200 rounds, or $0.43 a pop. In other words, IMO, the savings aren't worth the potential trouble.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not only would I stay away from the russian stuff, Cabela's is one of the more higher priced sources. Check out the ammo bunker sticky for the best 7.62 sources and prices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts