M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This the mornings' experience I test fired a customer's M1A after considerable work was completed on the rifle. This rifle is equipped with Ziess {spl** socpe and quick change , cams. ring set up. This rifle has many issues, not good ones, but it should be superior to a Standard grade all things being considered.

The owner supplied 40 rounds of Hertenberger ammo. At 100 yds off the bench, in perfect conditions, the groups of 5 shots averaged 6,5 inches. I pulled the bullets from five rounds of this ammo and seated a Serria 150 bthp on top, this produced a 5 shot group of approx 2 inches. Since there were only four holes in the target I assumed one shot was a double.

My question is, has anyone used this ammo with success, and how do you define that success? art

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered a good bit of it a few months back. I shot through about 200 rounds of it the other day and was a bit confused. There were strings of good shots and then I had some shots that felt solid that weren't where they should have been. I didn't shoot consistently at paper at 100, so I couldn't give you an exact MOA precision. We did a lot of steel shooting out to 300. I would say around 4-5 MOA is about the accuracy of this ammo. I am going to mount my scope this week and will get a chance to play with this stuff some more, I will try to dig this thread up in a few weeks and see if I have any improved accuracy once I can see a little better.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
A couple of my friends and customers use some Hertenberger ammo and typically see groups that average between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches from it, the same rifles are in line with your results and my reloads at 1 1/2 to 2 inches. After bedding and all accuracy mods, they will hang around 1- 1 1/2 inches with reloads, but will still show 2 5/8" from Hertenberger. So in the grand scheme of things, it sounds as though you have his rifle pretty close to the norm.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was hoping for..

A couple of my friends and customers use some Hertenberger ammo and typically see groups that average between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches from it, the same rifles are in line with your results and my reloads at 1 1/2 to 2 inches. After bedding and all accuracy mods, they will hang around 1- 1 1/2 inches with reloads, but will still show 2 5/8" from Hertenberger. So in the grand scheme of things, it sounds as though you have his rifle pretty close to the norm.

For a few hours I began to think I was slipping into old age.
This was my first experience with Hert B and my last..

Just now cleaning this Gentleman's M1A and there is zero front end draw, actually the two parts are not touching at all.. It has a heavy barrel, but being freefloated by design or accident. it rates no high than the HB ammo.

Thank you for the quick followup, can I assume all this 7.62 ammo coming in is equally as good? art

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I have always been a fan of Hirtenberger ammo. My SAI shot 1-1/8 inch groups at 100yds off a sandbag with it.

I have not tried the newer stuff from Hirt as yet that I have on hand. It cam in ammo can on links of 4. Since it was machine gun ammo, I don't have the confidence in it as yet. Will be a bit before I get to try it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Which Head Stamp of Hirt were You using Art?
I also have used Hirt a lot in the past and can hold the Black of an SR1 Target at 100yds with no Problem with all three varieties and all of my Rifles, pictured Belowthe one on the Left is Berdan Primed and the Best of the Bunch as far as I am concerned, the other two are on the Hot side and I am not entirely sure if they were meant for M14s!

BTW Why no input in Your Post "Someone Outhere Knows" in TFL?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thanks for posting that Trung Si and pointing it out, I only have experience with the double star headstamp Art. The remainder of their mil-surp ammo will not hold the ten ring consistently, even with me shooting them before mods, and usually will after mods.

But Trung Si makes a good point also about the heat some bring. I will be shooting along there, and all of a sudden a round will go BOOM, and the pile of brass that has accumulated at 2 o'clock will have one slung back and to the rear and measured eleven feet away straight behind me, from the normal of six feet at 2 o'clock ! That in itself is cause for me to not shoot mil-surp in my rifle unless made by american manufacture. My collective average with different mil-surp is 3 5/8"

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which one question

Which Head Stamp of Hirt were You using Art?
I also have used Hirt a lot in the past and can hold the Black of an SR1 Target at 100yds with no Problem with all three varieties and all of my Rifles, pictured Belowthe one on the Left is Berdan Primed and the Best of the Bunch as far as I am concerned, the other two are on the Hot side and I am not entirely sure if they were meant for M14s!

BTW Why no input in Your Post "Someone Outhere Knows" in TFL?
I used the round like the one on the far right, with the two stars. and green stuff on primer.

The target measurements requested has come in, but I've done nothing with it so far.. Busy here playing with my reloading and shooting. We have had good weather down in Kerrville, so, off to the range in Bandera, it is not often there is no wind, I take advantage of this to shoot my Springfield M2 22 cal. rifle, which is my favorite...

Along with a shooting friend, that has several top of the line 22 rifles, we compete to see which can record the most centers on the NRA 50 feet small bore target. The catch is, we shoot these targets at 50 yards, with scopes of course. Loser buys lunch. Nice to hear from you. Art

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've shot Hurtenberger before and I can say I wasn't seriously impressed. I've had good luck with Portuguese, Radway green, R1M1 SA and done ok with CAVIM. Most of the time that I've seen Hurtenberger ammo the person selling wants a premium price because it's Austrian ammo. it's Hurtenberger they say! My opinion "big deal".

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The only Hertenberger 308 ammo I have shot was a bunch of their 190gr Match ammo.

It used the Sierra 190 gr Matchking. It was great shooting ammo all the way to 1000 yards. In bolt guns and in Match M 14's.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Hirt 7.62 NATO in an M14 ...

While your personal mileage may vary,
in my tests of various types of SURPLUS / CIVILIAN AVAILABLE 7.62 NATO BALL ammo,
through several dozen different M14 / M1A / M305 type rifles,
ON AVERAGE,
Hirtenberg was the most accurate.

Like I said,
YPMMV,
and your individual M14 rifle may show a strong individual preference for some other brand,
but AS AN AVERAGE,
based on dozens of different M14s,
these are my results

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
While your personal mileage may vary,
in my tests of various types of SURPLUS / CIVILIAN AVAILABLE 7.62 NATO BALL ammo,
through several dozen different M14 / M1A / M305 type rifles,
ON AVERAGE,
Hirtenberg was the most accurate.

Like I said,
YPMMV,
and your individual M14 rifle may show a strong individual preference for some other brand,
but AS AN AVERAGE,
based on dozens of different M14s,
these are my results
+1,each Rifle shoots different, the Berdan Primed Hirtenberger ranks pretty High on my Totem Pole, in all of my Rifles!ICONWINK

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Headstamp 79 ... *7.62x51* is BOXER primed

I am just in the process of prepping some of these *7.62X51* cases for reloading. I just resized, deprimed, and trimmed 50 cases so I'm absolutely sure there is only one hole in the primer pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts