M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my project Savage 10 with the side focus Super Sniper in a Bell And Carlson stock.

I'm having some trouble with it keeping its zero but am slowly trouble shooting the cause .

Could the RO or one of the Moderators lend a hand my photo isnt comming up. Thanks

*** RRVI, I took the url and pasted it and it works fine. So I know the link and tags are correct. I don't know why it will not show up. I do know that "NO" tags are working on this thread. Tom O.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TRW

Did you ever have any problems with zeroing your Savage? Since I put the Bell and Carlson stock on mine, my zero jumps from one side of the target to the other. I'm shooting from a sandbag supported prone position. My groups are right at an inch but the zero goes from the right side of the bull to the left , I think the stock has something to do with but I dont know where to start. This is new territory for me as far as a precision bolt goes.

Thanks

Keith

Glad to see someone else that shoots something other than a Model 700 lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Keith,

No I did not have problems. I had mine mounted by a professional gunsmith. He did explain to me, that he had to shave off a bit from the trigger area to make a tight fit. What type of scope did you put on your Savage? Did you mount the scope yourself? If the stock is not seated right you might get a shift but then it stops. I believe your problem lies within your scope mounting system (scope, rings). What type of ammunition are you shooting out of your Savage rifle? I feed mine 168gr and 175gr. For heavy animals and long distances I use 175grainers. For close to medium ranges I use 168gr.

If you have any more questions, please ask away. We are always here to help. :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha RRSix:

The B&C stock that I put on my Savage 112FV pressed heavily on one side of the barrel in the barrel channel area. I knew this would be a problem, so I relieved that area and made sure that the barrel was free floating...

Eventually I would like to bed the stock (which already has pillars built-in) to the receiver.

In the mean time, taking the rifle out with the B&C stock resulted in some really good groups.

Good luck on your getting your rifle "zeroed".

Tom O.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll try to get some pics of my 10FP LE2B on here as soon as I get them uploaded to Photobucket.

Waht kind of glass are you all using? I stumbled into a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 and am thoroughly impressed.

I initially went to the AACCA Gun Show in Calgary AB last year looking to buy the Elite 3200 fixed 10x. I found a used Leupold 3.5-10 with a 30mm tube and mildot reticle. I had to do some convincing seeign as I had only planned to spend about $300 CDN. When I went back the next day the scope had sold (shocking). So I kept looking around and eventually ran across the Nightforce. I ended up giving $2K Cdn for the scope and medium rings.

So much for the bargain sniper rifle, eh?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Savages are highly accurated, under-appreciated, precision tools.

I conduct a lot of Sniper training and have seen numerous rifles, both Savages and Remingtons, have problems with "wandering zero" when mounted in Bell & Carlson stocks.

I usually recommend McMillan, the AICS for Remingtons and HS Precision (which I still recommend to have bedded).

If your rifle with the wandering zero hasn't been properly bedded, have it done. If that doesn't work, you'll need to replace the stock. I've even seen bedded B&C stocks that had problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.