M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were there any other sizes of the rear apperature for the 1903-A3 rifle? My old eyes just can't see through that small hole and find the front sight. Any suggestions? how about Numrich would they have something like that ? I would hate drill it out if i didn't have a spare or if I had a spare I would drill that one out. thanks all you guys are the bomb.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Sarco sells 1903a3 rear sights.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/1903a3spfrearsightrepro.aspx

You can just replace the central section quite easily without having to take off the rear sight. Drill out the repro rear peep and keep the USGI one.

The repro peeps stay put better than the USGI ones do. The ladder sections are deeper and so the peep doesn't move under recoil.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you can't see through it you're too far away.
Me? I filled mine with Devcon and drilled a smaller hole. .042"
The smaller the hole the sharper the sight picture.
I'm 54 and both near and farsighted.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can't see through it you're too far away.
Me? I filled mine with Devcon and drilled a smaller hole. .042"
The smaller the hole the sharper the sight picture.
I'm 54 and both near and farsighted.
Well my nose is touching my thumb when I shoot and everyone else who has shot it has the same complaint....can't see the front sight. When I shoot my buddys .348 Winchester lever action with peeps it has a larger aperature and is easy to hit with. I don't know.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have cleaned the aperture? Sometimes they are partially plugged with dried cosmoline.
Although not as big as the Garand aperture I can usually see 2 targets on either side through an 03A3 stock sight.
You know what............it took me 3 hours to get the cosmoline off the rest of the rifle...............maybe, just maybe...........I missed a spot ( namely the rear sight apperature). Thanks I will try that when I get home.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toothpicks are pretty good at digging dried cosmo from rear peeps.
Well, well, well it's amazing what a little more cleaning will do. It is stll kind of hard to see through but it is 100 % better.

Now I got to get to the Range and shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.