M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I don’t know if you saw it but the CMP is cutting hours for the people who work at the Alabama store of the CMP due to the lack of rifles. As you know the President through executive order stopped the importation of M1 Garands. I guess since he couldn’t get any anti gun laws passed in the Senate he wanted to thumb his nose at gun owners. I have sent a letter to my senators asking them to try to get this executive order overturned. I also sent letters to my representative here in PA and the representatives in Ohio and Alabama as well as Ted Cruz and Rand Paul and the President. I’m asking you to do the same. I think these people who work for the CMP might face layoffs if something isn’t done. I don’t have any connection with the CMP other than I bought a Garand from them but I feel that peoples jobs shouldn’t be put in jeopardy because of some agenda being pushed by the White House. Here is the letter I sent. My letter is below.

Hello, I'm writing to you with a concern that President Obama used an executive order to prevent the importation of the M1 Garand rifles. These historical rifles pose no threat to the population.

Here are the specifications.
Overall Length: 43.43 Inches
Barrel Length: 23.98 inches
Weight 9.63 pounds
Clip capacity 8 rounds (They do not have a detachable magazine)

These aren't rifles that are going to be used in crimes. They are too long to conceal and too heavy to carry and they only hold eight rounds.
These are rifles that had a major part in defeating the German's and Japanese during World War two. They belong back in this country.
The Civilian Marksman Program who refurbishes these rifles and sells them only to competitive shooters across the country is already cutting the hours of their workers and will probably start laying them off both in Ohio and Alabama if these rifles aren't allowed back into the country. This isn't right and my belief is president Obama doesn't even know what kind of rifles he is preventing from coming into the country. This is costing jobs and that isn't right. Can you do anything to help save these peoples jobs and to bring these rifles back home? Thank you

Alabama:
Sessions, Jeff - (R - AL)
326 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4124
Contact: http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-jeff

Shelby, Richard C. - (R - AL)
304 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-5744
Contact: http://www.shelby.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailsenatorshelby

Ohio:
Brown, Sherrod - (D - OH)
713 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-2315

Portman, Rob - (R - OH)
448 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-3353
Contact: https://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

Paul, Rand - (R - KY)
124 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4343

Cruz, Ted - (R - TX)
185 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-5922

President Obama
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments

If anybody can think of anybody else to write to let us know. Thanks

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
This has been stated before, but the import ban has absolutely no effect on the CMP. CMP gets ALL of their rifles from the U.S. military (I believe Army for the most part). The import ban does not cover any U.S. government property held abroad, presumably on lend-lease programs. As such, any M1 that may be affected by the import ban is a rifle that is no longer owned by the U.S. military, and therefore would never be sold through the CMP.

While there are many reasons to lift the import ban, support for the CMP is simply inapplicable. If true, the reason why the CMP is cutting back hours is because there simply aren't a lot of M1s (or any other rifles for that matter) being given to them by the U.S. government and they're getting low on their supplies. It is no secret that there will come a day in the not-so-distant future when the CMP will no longer have any M1s to sell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys

I'm new to the Garand scene and had my facts screwed up. I guess I'm a little sensitive about people possibly losing their jobs.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'm new to the Garand scene and had my facts screwed up. I guess I'm a little sensitive about people possibly losing their jobs.
How about everyone else across the US who has lost their jobs and has nothing to do with CMP???????????

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is no secret that there will come a day in the not-so-distant future when the CMP will no longer have any M1s to sell.
A sad day that will be.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
It does however prohibit the importation of M1 carbines which has caused prices to sky rocket and cut off the CMP from acquiring and selling them which will cost them jobs.
While it may have caused the prices to sky rocket, it did not in the least cut off the CMP from acquiring carbines. Same as the M1 Garands, CMP is only allowed to sell what it received from the U.S. government. The importation ban does not apply to U.S. government owned property. Any carbine that is thus prevented from being re-imported back into the United States has already been relinquished by the U.S. government and the CMP wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The CMP lost its purpose years ago when they let guys have a free for all on buying guns from them. When guys bought them to collect and resell at gunshows the hole marksmenship thing is no longer the point of the CMP. I say give the CMP workers jobs at the VA processing claims.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The CMP lost its purpose years ago when they let guys have a free for all on buying guns from them. When guys bought them to collect and resell at gunshows the hole marksmenship thing is no longer the point of the CMP. I say give the CMP workers jobs at the VA processing claims.
Go to a CMP shooting event or games match, and you'll be cured of that opinion. One serves the other, but the faster the rifles are dispersed...the further away from destruction these rifles are.

Plenty of the M14 clone owners on this forum are no different. Hoarders keep the shooters shooting...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nonsense.

Surplus rifles, ammunition, and other property is transferred to the CMP to be sold to raise money (quite a large endowment now) to fund marksmanship programs for youth and the Nationals.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
I couldn't agree more with bigblock. How many times Orest told me personally that the CMP endowment was so large as to never run out. The whole support of marksmanship nonsense is BS. Maybe 10 years ago. I believe he's tried to intentionally destroy the CMP core mission to support marksmen. He was also the guy in charge of Captain Chrunch for many years. He could care less about M1s and other historic rifles and doesn't even own one. He's no rifleman. Therefore he has no allegiance to our communities nor our way of life.

Just my two cents on the issue.

Reactions: bigblock

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I couldn't agree more with bigblock. How many times Orest told me personally that the CMP endowment was so large as to never run out. The whole support of marksmanship nonsense is BS. Maybe 10 years ago. I believe he's tried to intentionally destroy the CMP core mission to support marksmen. He was also the guy in charge of Captain Chrunch for many years. He could care less about M1s and other historic rifles and doesn't even own one. He's no rifleman. Therefore he has no allegiance to our communities nor our way of life.

Just my two cents on the issue.
I'll disagree with you, because the following is exactly what the CMP does. You've benefited greatly (as most have), so I'm confused at the slanted tone. ICONSAD The CMP is picking up where the NRA has dropped the ball and focused on appealing to the lowest common denominator of gun owners.

The CMP Mission
To Promote Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Training
With an Emphasis on Youth

Our Vision
That Every Youth in America Has the Opportunity to Participate in
Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Programs

http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions.htm

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Fred with the Appleseed program does more for marksmanship than the CMP. I don't want any US surplus rifle cut up. They should be sold to the highest bidder and use the money to buy new rifles for Marines and Soldiers. It should be a Federal Law that any man or women should be aloud to own a AR15 style of rifle in any state with a no feature ban on them as long as they are of sound mind and have no record that would keep them from firearm ownership.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I couldn't agree more with bigblock. How many times Orest told me personally that the CMP endowment was so large as to never run out.
Which is a good thing, because the influx of money into the endowment is about to end.

The whole support of marksmanship nonsense is BS. Maybe 10 years ago. I believe he's tried to intentionally destroy the CMP core mission to support marksmen.
How? Not doing what he was directed to do? They've sold surplus property to fund youth programs and the Nationals. They've opened the Eastern and Western Games, supported the Nationals, built great air rifle ranges, are building a new range in AL, and continue to support the Distinguished program. How is that destroying marksmanship? Just what do you think "supporting marksmanship" looks like?

It partly looks like this: http://www.odcmp.org/0414/default.asp?page=CMPREGIONALS

He was also the guy in charge of Captain Chrunch for many years. He could care less about M1s and other historic rifles and doesn't even own one. He's no rifleman. Therefore he has no allegiance to our communities nor our way of life.
What you want in his position is a manager, not a true believer.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I agree . Just my opinion here . Personally I think Orest has been on a Mission to get rid of every M1 as quickly as he can . And he cannot wait to do it .
Remember the DCM ? 1 rifle per person for life . Whats the Limit Now 10 a year ????
Over at the CMP forum you have the Butt Kissers that think and treat Orest like he is a God which can do no wrong .
I have Thick skin say what you want . I think CMP went to hell with Orest leading the charge . The only thing I buy from them is Surplus Ammo and will until they run out . Other than that I have no use for CMP PERIOD

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
If you think CMP does nothing to promote marksmanship you need to take a trip to Camp Perry and view the vacilites they have built for shooting. In fact go up this summer during the matches

1 - 20 of 47 Posts