M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 22" M1A into the troy chassis and took it to the range to sight in. First 10 or so shots grouped great about 1 moa, then everything started opening up. When cleaning the rifle later I realized I did not locktite the screws of the upper receiver and they were all loose.

Locktited everything and the 2nd time at the range; same results, first 10 or so shots were good, then it all opened up, wandering zero, larger groups etc... No screws came loose though. The barrel has always had an amount of play in this stock. The scope rings and mount are solid.

Ammo used was American Eagle 168g OTM.

Help!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I believe (but i am not sure) that if the barrel has play that means the entire action has play.

Hopefully someone else that knows more about these can chime in. I have watched the installation procedures a few times when i was deciding between this and the sage chassis.

If i were you i would reinstall the whole thing and reread the instructions. Or even call troy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe (but i am not sure) that if the barrel has play that means the entire action has play.

Hopefully someone else that knows more about these can chime in. I have watched the installation procedures a few times when i was deciding between this and the sage chassis.

If i were you i would reinstall the whole thing and reread the instructions. Or even call troy.
Dredsen, I think you are barking up the right tree, I did look over the instructions again and there was something else I missed; tension screws for the trigger group. I adjusted them so there is the 1/8" gap between the trigger and the unlocked trigger guard per the instructions. The difference is huge with the play now. Got to get back to the range to see if this does the trick.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
There should be no play at all ( again i don't know this for sure) but what you paid all that money for is a rock solid aluminum lock down on your action. I would keep tinkering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.