M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new M1A out for the first time today. I wanted to try some ammo I had on hand and sight it in.

First, sighting it in seemed simple enough, however, I got vertical stringing on each group. After the third group I realized the vertical adjustment knob was moving with every shot. from 8 to 8.5, about 5 clicks.

The bigger problem is that while PMC FMJ ran flawlessly, as well as Corbon subsonic, my silver state failed to to fully chamber on 3 , chambered but failed to fire on 4, chambered, fired and failed to extract on 3. All ejected shells indicated a firing pin mark on the primer. the shells were difficult to extra by hand requiring a lot of force. Once I got home I noticed a lot of brass shavings in the action.
Just looking for advice, scrub the chamber, throw the suspect rounds in a cartridge gauge, check with Springfield customer service prior to further experimentation?
any advice on keeping the sight adjustment from walking during recoil.
Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
My M1A exhibits the same brass debris, but it ran flawlessly. As for the sight, sounds like the screw is loose. Do a search of YouTube for "Tonyben M14" and watch his disassembly/reassembly videos. He'll show you in detail how to tighten it down.

As for the FTF, is the rifle new to you or new in the box? I guess either way, strip, thoroughly clean, & properly lube. I was thinking if it was used, the prior owner could have done a shabby job of cleaning the chamber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the youtube hint. The rifle is new in the box. I will do a complete strip and clean. To be fair , all i did was a quickie job before taking it out to the range since I had limited time.

i am going to be gone for a few days, waiting to get it back out there and try again will be the hardest part.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
If it's sticking in the chamber and physically difficult to remove that is a brass sizing issue. Other ammo working fine should be a red flag too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Tonyben video on sight assembly and lubrication allowed me to fix the drifting issue. It was too loose.
The Silver State is Brass cased Nato spec ammo. They are a premium quality manufacturer of 6.8 SPC ammo and I have had excellent results from them in that regard, I am going to gauge this ammo. Maybe I got a bad run. It does chamber and fire just fine in my Rem700 however.

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
Sight in with a know good round from the get go. American Eagle 168 grain OTM grade ammunition made by Federal. We all are looking forward to your field Report.

DI5

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Getting 'brass dust' on the bolt head and in the trigger group is typical.
If there are 'chunks' of brass, then there's a problem.

If the case gage is only for HEADSPACE, then it won't tell you if the cartrdge body diameters are out of spec. Clean the chamber with a chamber BRUSH, 'maybe' that will help....

Ammo for your rifle is supposed to easily chamber - if rounds need to be forced into the chamber then either the cases are too large, or chamber too small. If you have a micrometer or calipers, measure unfired ammo to find the largest diameter, and the diameter at the base of the shoulder.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I remember reading about some other issues with SSA stuff in 308 about 6-8 months ago. No personal experience with it…but someone else had some cases that would not chamber.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The Tonyben video on sight assembly and lubrication allowed me to fix the drifting issue. It was too loose.
The Silver State is Brass cased Nato spec ammo. They are a premium quality manufacturer of 6.8 SPC ammo and I have had excellent results from them in that regard, I am going to gauge this ammo. Maybe I got a bad run. It does chamber and fire just fine in my Rem700 however.
SSA used to produce premium brass for the 6.8 and was by far the most desired. UNTIL recently...been many posting on 6.8 forum where ammo was not as consistent, brass issues, etc. Even their bags of new 6.8 brass were very poor quality. Nosler bought SSA about a year ago and also changed out the available 6.8 loadings (discontinued a few of the top loadings with Barnes bullets).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts