M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a socom II 16 and I recently noticed left and right play in my muzzle brake when I remove the gas cylinder. Therefore, I want to shim it and I have one question about removing the muzzle brake. The left side looks drilled and filled with a plastic or epoxy, "locking it" into the thread channel. Do I drill it out then remove it? Or just force it until it breaks free? Once off and reassembled, how do I replace that stuff? Hot glue? Epoxy? Melted plastic?

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Can you post pictures? As far as I know the standard SOCOM brake and gas lock ring are one piece, the brake doesn't screw on, either they have changed the design or you have an after market device. Is your rifle used? Is the brake marked SEI?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That little dot under the front sight looks like its drilled and filled with plastic. The same stuff that holds a front sight on an 11-87 turkey barrel. Almost like its a keyway to prevent loosening.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Borrowed a picture from the PX(I hope you don't mind 49SFS06). Once the gas plug is removed(3/8" wrench to unscrew it), this whole assembly should unscrew from the barrel (it is threaded to the barrel). Your pic is a little blurry to me, does your brake/gas lock assembly look like this picture?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. The brake an gas lock ring (both one piece) are loose. It can move slighty left and right. But when I go to spin it off, it moves 1/8 of an inch then tightens up, as if its locked in place by the plastic dot in the pic I posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, they may have drilled it and pinned it with hot plastic to make it compliant, as suspected. The stock was pinned, which had to be unpinned to make it L.E. compliant.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Sounds like the threads are trashed. I'd try to drill out whatever they did but the way you've described it I wouldn't be too surprised if the barrel threads are ruined...glad I don't have to worry about all those useless safety features that liberals love so much.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Threads are fine but the brake rattles from side to side? OK, if you say so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts