M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a James River Armory "standard" coming. By" Standard" I mean 22'' GI walnut with metal butt plate and flash suppressor . I am not sure any of the terms are correct lingo. I am looking to scope it but don't want a Scout setup. I looked at "CAnaidianScopeMount CASM . Any drawbacks that I can't see to it? Anything else needed to make it shoot to it's potential?

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
You can shoot the rifle to its potential with just the iron sights. A Standard model is usually a 2 moa rifle with match ammunition, 3 moa with fodder.

The M14 rear sight is an amazing example of design and craftsmanship. I recommend that you become completely familiar with it before replacing it with a rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can shoot the rifle to its potential with just the iron sights. A Standard model is usually a 2 moa rifle with match ammunition, 3 moa with fodder.

The M14 rear sight is an amazing example of design and craftsmanship. I recommend that you become completely familiar with it before replacing it with a rail.
I got a M1 garand. I assumed the rear sight was the same. Anything different about it?

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
I got a M1 garand. I assumed the rear sight was the same. Anything different about it?
Sights should be exactly the same as the M1. They are interchangeable. I would suggest , as Kurt says, look to the potential with iron sights first. An excellent mount if you intend to remove it occasionally to use irons alone would be one of the Bassett mounts, they are top of the line for easily on and off. If you are looking to do something more permanent for optics, the best of the best is the Sadlak mounts.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
If you are familiar with the sights, use them to find out the accuracy potential of the rifle before investing a lot of time and money scoping it. Sometimes you can get lucky with a Standard, shooting as accurate as a National Match. Most times, however, it is a 2-3 moa rifle. I believe all current SAI rifles come with a NM front sight. Scoping might make shooting it more enjoyable, but it won't make the rifle any more accurate. The wrong scope or mount might make it less accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I am learning a lot about M1A weapons , First thing I learned is my 'Springfield' is a "JRA Bula" .

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
howdy
welcome from Wyomin!
The JRA Bula is purportedly a step up from the lowly Springfield, aka Springfield Armory, not to be confused with the older military contractor Springfield Armory.
How big a step is the subject of much verbosity and debate, with a forged receiver weighing heavily on the plus side to afficiandos.
IMO, learn to use the irons to their/your full potential. If you still want a scope, check out Redneck Yankee's mounts in the PX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will admit i know little but the learning curve is tricky. Seems you got to know serial numbers too.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I don't think the serial numbers really matter on a functional level.

If you want to grab an optic and explore, have at it. It's a fun process, though to find out what you really like, it might mean buying some stuff between then and there...

And in the process, some of those scope options might grow rifles...

But welcome. I also like the Redneck Yankee Dual Sight Mount, though lots of people have had lots of positive experience with all mounts mentioned. They all have particular aspects that may be advantageous depending on your priorities. Skim over them, see what appeals, and go with it. You can always change your mind later, or go a different route 'this one last time, again.'

·
Registered
419 Posts

I second your comments. My SA Standard has never had a scope of any kind. Shooting it with the irons is too much fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts