M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a friend.

He says I can run ANY SAMMI ammo (weight, powder) and it's fine in my M1.

I think not.

Evidence?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Found this post, might help or confuse.
I do not have a M1.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,679 Posts
I have run everything I can find from 110 gr TAP to 175 gr M118LR including tracers and the soft point ammo SAI says don't use in the M1A. However, NEVER use .308 light magnum under any circumstances.
m14brian

Oh crap, edit: I just noticed this was M1 Garand. It should only be M2 ball type spec ammo in the M1 Garand, damage can result with higher pressure loads and faster powders. Certain ammos that are labeled specifically for the M1 are Ok.

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
M1 is a pretty rugged tool. If the operator keeps his rifle clean and lubed with a good operating spring, if will handle most any ammo without problem. Practical rule of thumb is to keep it under 180 gr for safety and reliability.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M1 is a pretty rugged tool. If the operator keeps his rifle clean and lubed with a good operating spring, if will handle most any ammo without problem. Practical rule of thumb is to keep it under 180 gr for safety and reliability.
So hunting rounds 180 gr are O K ? regardless of powder? How about imr 4350 w/180gr? Say 55 gr. New factory loads are pressing that and more. I don't want to see a good gun hurt.

Is not the same concern w/M14 with the Garand? If I'm mistaken , I'm ignorant, not dumb. Learn me.

I know bad things can happen W/M14, powders, bullets... just learning more. Been through the service manual books on loading. loading more. soon .....

PS.....O'Biden is comimg!

Thanks,

asking for my friend, MT

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Art, so full on rounds are A OK for M14 too.

I am missing something......

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
Art, so full on rounds are A OK for M14 too.

I am missing something......
What I am trying to say is that the M1 is a very robust design and , when in good condition and properly maintained, is quite capable of handling heavier bullets up to the 180 gr. Of coarse, loads should be established that are within a reasonable margin of safety. Bullet mfgs have published load specifications for semi autos that can include the M1. Many of the horror stories that are perpetuated via the internet are the result of stupid actions by shooters that should have known better. Please, use multiple sources of data and try not to rely on hearsay and unverified rumor control as you make your personal decisions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How long do you want to shoot a serviceable Rifle?

My thought on M1 and ammunition is in maybe another 10 years and most surplus 3006 will either be expended or out of reach to buy or shoot.

Buy all factory loaded you can afford. And buy all the components also. Cases and bullets are getting harder to find everyday. So that leaves primers and powder.

Another item would be to buy 2 or 3 op rods that are in good and ready to go. Last year I bought 4,500 rounds plus of M1 and 03 ammunition just to cushion what I have. 60 to 70 cents a round. Now double the cost. Some companies still load for the M1 specific, but for how much longer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For a friend.

I think not.

Evidence?
This page (at the bottom) shows graphs of different factory ammos and their pressures for reference.

You can see that some produce significantly higher pressures than others. Not all powders are suitable when reloading.

There are a lot of differing opinions, even amongst Garand experts, about what should and shouldn't be used. Most agree the heavy rounds will do some damage eventually.

Many Garand owners like PPU marked "For M1 Garand". In recent testing, my M1 liked S&B marked "For M1 Garand" and the Hornady 168gr M1 Match ($$$...) better.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The M1 Garand was designed and tested for use with US military ammo that used bullets in the 150-175(ish) range. They WERE NOT intended to be used with the heavy (180+) bullets often loaded in 30-06 hunting ammo. And certainly NOT with recent 'near magnum' 30-06 loads.
The M1's gas system is designed for the 'gas port pressure' of the military loads. Various handloads and factory ammo exceeds those design parameters and can cause damage to the rifle.

In order to avoid damage to the rifle, I recommend using ammo that is similar to the military loads (specifically bullet weight, powder type, and MV).

The same consideration apply to M1s chambered for 308Win (or 7.62).

Jay

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
So hunting rounds 180 gr are O K ? regardless of powder? How about imr 4350 w/180gr? Say 55 gr. New factory loads are pressing that and more. I don't want to see a good gun hurt.
asking for my friend, MT
NO!
There's some "premium" hunting ammo, intended for bolt guns that's way too hot for a Garand.
& 4350 is way too slow for a Garand, don't use anything slower than 4064.
Use a Schuster (or some such) gas plug, starting all the way open, if you must use hot .30-06 loads.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, back to original question, all ALL, factory 06 loads good to go in a M1? That was question

RP makes 220gr coreloct. Good to go? Hot rod "fusion loads" ?

Who knows what powder goes in which load?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
For a friend.

I think not.

Evidence?
You need a adjustable gas plug if you use anything other then 150 grain ball or 168 and 175 match. A good commercial load is PPU ball marked for m1 garand use. Buy it cheap stack it deep.

Oh and if you reload use 3031,4895,4064

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I am trying to say is that the M1 is a very robust design and , when in good condition and properly maintained, is quite capable of handling heavier bullets up to the 180 gr. Of coarse, loads should be established that are within a reasonable margin of safety. Bullet mfgs have published load specifications for semi autos that can include the M1. Many of the horror stories that are perpetuated via the internet are the result of stupid actions by shooters that should have known better. Please, use multiple sources of data and try not to rely on hearsay and unverified rumor control as you make your personal decisions.

So Art,

You're saying, ANY 180gr commerecial load , up to /inclding is fine in a M!?

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
So Art,

You're saying, ANY 180gr commerecial load , up to /inclding is fine in a M!?
Nope, not even close. I am more suggesting hand loads up to 180 with the proper cautions taken to establish safe operations.
There are many super commercial loads that are designed specifically for bolt guns. With any semi, caution is the name of the game. Do the research, it can save a lot of healing in the future.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So, back to original question, all ALL, factory 06 loads good to go in a M1? That was question

RP makes 220gr coreloct. Good to go? Hot rod "fusion loads" ?

Who knows what powder goes in which load?
Pretty sure we covered that a few times - No.

...220gr...Hot Rod "fusion loads"? Hell no...

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
No, no, no. We are all saying exactly the opposite. Commercial loads may work, depending on configuration but can be dangerous in an auto loader. Take your time and do the research and be careful. Caution is the name of the came.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts