M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I feel dumb, because I can't figure this out. I had one of my LRB rifle actions out of the JAE G2 for a little bit, and when I put it back, I notice the action hangs a little bit more now when the bolt is pulled back at about two-thirds back. Only when the trigger group is in!

Before I took it out it was incredibly smooth like my other rifle (same setup) when the safeties are on.

What the heck did I do? I have taken it out many times before and no issues after putting it back.GI3

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Are you sure it's nit just the bolt riding over the hammer when seting the hammer back and locked?

·
Registered
480 Posts
sounds like the bolt is contacting the hammer.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is definitely the bolt on the hammer, it just used to be really smooth (like the other one still is) and I am curious as to why it has changed all of the sudden.

I had put a little bit grease where the firing pin hit the receiver bridge, and thought it was that, then I wiped it away and still the same.

So then this is somewhat normal? Just seems a little strange.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Leadbug...

You really need to get out and shoot your rifles more!

They cycle real nice when you pull the trigger on a live round
GI7

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leadbug...

You really need to get out and shoot your rifles more!

They cycle real nice when you pull the trigger on a live round
GI7
LOL! You got me there 9th, that is true! I know, it is sad.GI4 Sort of like a pathetic life right now. Every little petty thing I bring up sounds so ridiculous considering I am not shooting. I have these babies, and I hold them, and I look at them a lot.GI3

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I know how you feel leadbug. I freaked out big time when mine had feeding issues. Seems like every little thing gets you questioning it.

Maybe when you put it back together it seated in a little more allowing the bolt to contact the hammer?

Mine contacts just a bit, I rather prefer it, I know for sure it'll reset each time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I questioned the same thing at first until i studied everything bit more. I just need to get out and shoot more too. Damn lack of cheap ammo.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Just call Springfield tomorrow and get a tag to send it back. It's got a lifetime warranty, take advantage of it. I'm sure they'll make it right. Oops, it wasn't a Springfield, was it?

(Sorry leadbug, just couldn't resist GI2 )

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just call Springfield tomorrow and get a tag to send it back. It's got a lifetime warranty, take advantage of it. I'm sure they'll make it right. Oops, it wasn't a Springfield, was it?

LOL! High Hat I derserve that one.GI2

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It is definitely the bolt on the hammer, it just used to be really smooth (like the other one still is) and I am curious as to why it has changed all of the sudden.

I had put a little bit grease where the firing pin hit the receiver bridge, and thought it was that, then I wiped it away and still the same.

So then this is somewhat normal? Just seems a little strange.

Thanks for the input guys.
You didn't mention if you greased the rest of the rifle's slide rails, op rod spring/receiver rail, the saddle of the hammer, etc. They all require grease to operate smoothly. dozier

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Try taking the trigger group out and cycling it by hand. Take a look at the hammer hooks to see that they are coming down onto the sears without any misalignment. Sometimes if they get bent or are just put together with a very close tolerance they will hit or rub on one side or the other. This may not be a problem when the weapon cycles with gas pressure, but you are looking for a smooth cocking cycle using manual pressure. The hammer hooks hitting or rubbing on either side would keep you from having that 'smooth as butter' feel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Heh. That makes me smile.

Leadbug.. I wouldn't worry about it. Its just the gun cocking because the trigger is seated a bit differently. No biggie.

Now, if there is excessive drag bringing the bolt home as it rides back over the hammer, that is something else altogether. As in, if you can ease the bolt onto a friction point that actually starts to overcome the mainspring pressure, then worry.

But otherwise.. stop spending so much time fondling them and go shoot.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update-I took it apart and put some oil on the top inside of the receiver and the problem pretty much went away. There is still mildly a little more resistance than used to be there, but it is much better.

I am not kidding, it used to be super silky-smooth, like the other one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts