M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on hunting with my m1 rifle this wk-end. But its near impossable to find a 5rd. enbloc @ any of my local gun store.The nearest gun show don't open till noon,2hrs in the other direction and i work today.
Any help on a conversion of the old 8rd.enblocs would help a-lot tanks? GI8

·
Registered
966 Posts
You are better off ordering on line, just do a google search.

Fortunately, where I live, no such restrictions exist.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I am not sure exactly what your hunting law states, so I can't comment on that. Some laws state no more than five round clips and some state no more than five rounds in the rifle and clip.

Sounds like me that I wait till the last moment too much. I would have a 5 shot clip overnighted if you could as it is a nightmare to try to modify a clip to five rounds the first couple of times you do it. It is such a pain I won't do it.

I have seen a modification that was done on two rifles that U.S. Army soldiers had done while in Germany to make them legal for a five round limit hunting rifle over there. I have not seen it done over here, before. They have a five round limit the rifle can not hold more than five rounds. What they do is weld a post to the bottom of the slide on the follower and slide assembly. The post is long enough it won't allow the follower and slide to go down far enough to load more than five rounds no matter what kind of clip is used. The bottom of the post hits the top side of the trigger housing plate so you can't load more than five rounds.

I didn't notice the modification until I took the first one apart. When I did, I was at first puzzled why they added the post. Then I figured out it was to limit the number of rounds that could be loaded and the owner confirmed that's why it was done. I don't know if that is legal for hunting in your state, but if so, it is far simpler to add a modified follower and slide than it is to mess around with different clips. Then replace the modified follower and slide for normal shooting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pop Rivets.............

DragonGunner:

Place 5 rounds in the clip, and mark the outside where the bottom round stops. Drill a 1/8" hole in the side that will line up with the lowest edge of the cartridge when the clip has the 5 rounds in it. Place a long 1/8" pop rivet in the hole, set it, you now have a clip with a 5 round stop.

If you get it too high or too low the first time, move back, and do it again.

Old HP trick..........

HTH

·
Banned
38 Posts
Can you place an enbloc in the rifle and eject three rounds???? Now she is just loaded with 5 rounds.

I am unsure of how the hunting laws are worded. If you cannot have more than 5 rounds loaded then voila. Put in an enbloc and eject three rounds. Put it on safe and hunt.

Goofy laws. Could've made it 8 round clips so we could use our M1s to hunt with.

·
Registered
372 Posts
"Goofy laws. Could've made it 8 round clips so we could use our M1s to hunt with." Remember Mad, we're talking about politicians and/or bureaucrats here. Common sense and reason are typically not the norm with this group. Couldn't resist :) Todd

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I'd make the clip hold only 4 rounds - that plus the 1 in the chamber gives 5.

Also, make sure you do not have any 8-round clips with you.

To drill or cut the spring steel clips, it is a big help to spot anneal the affected area first.
Use a propane torch or even a butane cigarette lighter, and let the clip cool slowly.

I heat & do about a 1/2 inch cut just below the bottom case. then do a diagonal bend of the upper side of the cut to hold the bottom case.
Do that all the way around so that there in NO WAY to load more than 4 rounds in the clip.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I plan on hunting with my m1 rifle this wk-end. But its near impossable to find a 5rd. enbloc @ any of my local gun store.The nearest gun show don't open till noon,2hrs in the other direction and i work today.
Any help on a conversion of the old 8rd.enblocs would help a-lot tanks? GI8
This weekend's about gotten away but you can get 5 rounders and 2 rounders from Champion's Choice, www.champchoice.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts