M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bag containing around 60 rounds of what appears to be 30 06 ammo on 5 round stripper clips. Some is marked with C N 9 40 with straight lines radiating out at the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions. Some is marked B N 3 40 with the same lines. Most look like original loadings and some are obvious reloads with soft points. I haven't been able to find any info on this ammo so far.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have some of this, I did some research on it as well. The only thing I could come up with was apparently some of this stuff was produced under government contract for 'aid' to foreign actors. Some of this was covert (Bay of Pigs, ect) and they didn't want it to be traceable as to where it came from.

I can't say for sure this is totally accurate, but what I found.. Makes a good story when discussing my head stamp collection.. :)

I'll try to find the source and post it here.

Justin

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
From CMP Forums:

Chris Punnett's .30-06 is a comprehensive work on this cartridge and the following is from that book.

"Lake City was involved in the production of clandestine M2 Alternate ball rounds that used fake headstamps. They have a brass primer, red primer annulus and are headstamped C/N/. A fake date of 1940 was chosen deliberately though actual production was completed in 1953. Lot numbers were from C/N/1/40 to C/N/9/40. The rounds were ordered in case of a future requirement rather than for a specific campaign."

Reactions: Duce

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
Clandestine ammo. Had nothing to do with Bay of Pigs. That's an Urban Myth.

AN was assigned to Twin Cities, BN to St louis, and CN to Lake City. 250 million rounds were manufactured. Security classification was removed in 1962, so the cartridges are fairly common. No particular collecting premium. Much of it was sent to Central and South America, and the Far East for regular military use.

Ray

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
It's exciting to imagine where some of this ammo may have been used but it's only wishful day dreaming. It's pretty much plain vanilla mundane stuff that somebody thought would be a good idea at the time. It turned out not to be anything special and so was de-classified and shipped out to the places I mentioned for regualr military use. A lot of it was linked for MG use. It would probably make a good action movie but we all know that they aren't real. They sell at cartridge shows for 50 cents to a dollar each.

Ray

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have quite a bit of different ammo in 50 cal cans. A lot of it appears to be AP in en blocs and a bunch of stuff on strippers and loose. I'll try to make a list of the headstamps and post them up sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts