M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M1A SA Standard. I mounted a Sadlak aluminum mount per the instructions. I have Blackhawk tactical rings 1 inch high I believe with a scope from Cabelas, for now until I can decide which other scope to get. Anyway, the I can't zero the scope. What it's doing is shooting way to high, I lowered the elevation as far as it can go on the scope and shoots damn near 12 inches high. I finally got it on paper at 50 and shot nice groups, but at the top of the paper and this was with holding the reticle center mass. Same thing on the 100 yd line. Any and I mean any help would be appreciated it. And for the record I had a Marine Sniper that used to be with FAST spotting for me and even with both our heads together couldn't come to a conclusion. I spent a hell of a lot of money today in ammo.

Jamie

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
Depending on the size of your Cabelas scope i.e. 40MM or 50MM - you may need to get the lowest tactical rings you can get and not have your scope hit your barrell. I use the Harris Tactical Rings and they come in low, medium and high. Just thinking if you get the lowest ring possible that may get the elevation adjustment down. Not sure if this will correct it or not and not sure which Blackhawk ring you are using or whether they come in different heights. I use the Basset Picatinny low profile scope mount/version and have had no problem with windage or elevation adjustments.

The link below shows the height variations for the harris tactical rings. Maybe you can check your Blackhawk mounts and see if you can get low rings. I assume it's not a problem with the actual mounting of the Sadlak scope mount?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-1-30mm-tactical-ring-6-hole-picatinny.html

Good Luck......

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Also, I don't know much about tactical rings, but perhaps, is it possible that they come in a +20 MOA offset? If you plan on shooting long, long range, this may be an advantage as you step out farther but 12" seems like a lot.

Who mounted the scope and were the rings lapped? Although lapping won't correct the elevation, it does ensure that the rings are aligned and the scope has 100% clamping purchase around the tube.

You can also try switching the rings. Put the front on the back and vice-verse. This can sometimes correct errors in elevation. I know Art ran into the same problem and that was the simple fix.

If you decide to go with the Burris signature Zee rings, I have more advice but I'll save it for your decision as it's kind of lengthy to type out.

Tony.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finny thing just happened my Bassett I ordered a couple months ago just came in the mail today. I still will switch out to lower rings. I have to assume that is is the issue. Thanks for the replies gentlemen

·
Registered
211 Posts
Get the inspection kit from Sadlak, your receiver might be out of spec. My Scout receiver is out of spec and I ran out of windage. I used Millet windage adjustable rings to fix the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
its unlikley that lower rings will help...the lower the ring the better but this has a whole lot more to do with cheek weld than it does with point of impact.

Imagine two laser lines one extends out from the muzzle and one out from the scope. If your scope is dialed for 100 yds you have the laser line from the scope crossing the muzzle laser line at the 100yd mark.

In your case there is a gross misalignment between the scope line and the muzzle line. With the scope turrets in the mid position rather than the scope line running parallel to the muzzle line its pointing down hill and diverging away from the muzzle line at 0.2 degrees approx. It doesn't sound like much but that adds up at 100yds to guess what...12 inches.

with that said new rings may solve the issue but only if the issue lies in the ring themselves. If its a mount issue then standard rings won't help

The burris signature rings are amazing and they would correct the problem because they can physically raise the front of the scope and change the point of impact without using the turrets. I use these rings all the time but typically in zero offset I use them because they wont mar the finish on the scope and have incredible holding power and finally if there is a very slight misalignment rather than pinching the scope tube they will allow the tube to self center so there is never any stress on the tube.

Good luck

-Gun

·
Read Only
840 Posts
If you decide to go with the Burris signature Zee rings, I have more advice but I'll save it for your decision as it's kind of lengthy to type out.

Tony.
I

Tony, I'm presently going the Burris Zee route and any info would be much appreciated. I ground off some material from the dovetail end of my ARMS 18 mount so it attaches properly. Nice and square with the receiver keys but scope still zeros to the left of scope dead center.

Using the Zee rings to bring the scope to the nuetral position hopefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts