M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Have a problem with a garand I had a trigger job done on. Had my brother check it out, because my brother has about 25 years more experience with firearms than I do. But it turned into a discussion about creep versus take up, single stage and two stage triggers.

His position is that garands and m-14's do not have two stage triggers. I am pretty certain this is not true at all. He thought nothing was wrong with the trigger job. To me sometimes it feels as if there is no stop after you take up the first stage of the trigger, which as I understand it is not right? He tried out my m1a trigger, and suggested I needed a trigger job on that one, but to me it feels pretty good with only the slightest hint of creep after the take up of the first stage. So I think he was confusing the take up of the first stage with creep. But he was emphatic that Garands do not have two stage triggers.

So is this a case of little brother should listen to the experienced shooter or big brother should listen to the guy with more service rifles than he has. Thanks for reading and any info you can share.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Hey chickenfried,

You could show him the military manual which states that M1's and M14's have a "2 stage" trigger (don't know which book-Kuhnhausen has it).In short,he's wrong on that one.

They all also have creep as well.That comes with 2 stage triggers unless it's an after market that can be adjusted which doesn't apply here I know.

I could start an argument with this statement so I'll just say that a person with many years of experience shooting a gun could very well know nothing about them.But then,as ya get older your memory can and will fade as the years go by.

warbird
http://groups.msn.com/warbird
"under construction"

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quick tip. Take the trigger housing out of the rifle, close the trigger guard, and show you brother how the system works. Just my .02 worth...Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. you'll get no argument from me warbird. Especially after his "I don't think you even know what a two stage trigger is" comment ( in the condascending tone only a know it all big brother can have) But in his defense, he seems to be more of a bolt gun guy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First right away I sent him a link to fulton armory's faq explaining the difference between take up and creep. He responds with I stand by my statement, they're talking about aftermarket triggers. After directing him to my posts here and on other forums I ask if he still stands by his statement. His reply is a simple "yah". so my response was a simple "ok" I've got better things to do than argue with a brick wall. This experience has definitely made me wary of my brother's advice. To me there is nothing worse than an "expert" that can't admit he's wrong, or thinks they know it all and can learn nothing more. Thanks for your help guys, we tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.