M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in law gave me this rifle to clean up and if possible sell, however this rifle being in pretty good condition I would like to buy it off him instead of selling it to another person. It has the big claw extractor that is present on Mauser actions but I am not sure. Can anyone help me identify this rifle? Clearly it's a military surplus rifle that has been sporterized and chambered in 30-06. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Looks like a sporterized Mauser to me.

Reactions: MrShmitty

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
its a mauser

look under the front scope mount for original serial

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing but what was throwing me off was the safety level which seems to be switched around leaving the tail of the safety lever pointing towards the tang and not the bore like I have seen on other sporterized models. I was thinking about making this more of a scout/express style gun with better sights like the ones that come on the ruger Alaskan and African as well as the guide gun models.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
It's a mauser. Does it chock on close or open when you cycle the bolt? I'm being it's a large ring 98 given its 06.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,712 Posts
Does it have a 3rd bolt lug on the bottom of the bolt?
It looks like Brno VZ-24 that has been sporterized to me, are ther any marking on the barrel? hopefully its not a 8mm barrel that had a 30-06 reamer run through it making a 8mm-06 which is not a bad round but you need to handload it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._24

Casey

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the barrel is stamped 30-06 springfield so its not a worked over barrel, but I do like the sound of a 323-06 though..... I will try and get more pics up when I get home especially of the bolt because that is what is throwing me off. Any other pics that would help identify this rifle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts