M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to expand my gun collection some more and I've narrowed it down to three choices. The Lee Enfield SMLE MKIII, Swiss K-31, or the Finnish M39 Mosin. The reasons for these choices are that I already have an M91/30 and an M44 Mosin, but the M39 is superior in quality (so I've heard.) The K-31 is different than anything I already have; it being a straight pull bolt and Swiss. As for the Enfield, I just really like it. I'm leaning toward the Enfield right now, but that could change tomorrow. I plan on getting all three in the future, but as for now I can only get one. Which should I get first? Anyone have experience with all three? Or any recommendations for others I should consider instead?

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
find one that's easy to get ammo for

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with Polack. It’s ammo first. In total for me its ammo, high grade spare parts, people to ask about it before I buy and people to ask when it breaks.

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Yep. I've got 7.62's, 5.56's, and an 8 mm so if I bought another, it would be ideally intermediate in caliber with lots of cheap ammo around.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Next one on my radar is a US Property marked Savage Enfield No4 MK I .

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
Reactions: Skohrchr

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
The Swiss is a neat rifle, had a couple. Ammo not easy, the mil stuff is Berdan primed which I did reload after buying a depriming tool that is cartridge specific, works with water pressure, no really it does. I believe Hornady makes ammo for it though if you can find some. Of those three the SMLE would be last for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on getting into reloading anyway so it won't be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: Wasted ammo

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
If you can find a nice one I'd go for the straight pull Swiss.

It won't be your primary Zombies, Martians, Red Dawn, Armageddon, rifle so the ammo you need will be pretty few match hand loads.

Either that rifle or a nice Swedish Mauser will probably put you in a class with the better match m1As at a lot less dough.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a m39 and love it. I would recommend it if you already have a few mosin's.

Reactions: Skohrchr
1 - 16 of 16 Posts