M14 Forum banner

Which one to Stash

• PMC Bronze

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • German DAg

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Radway Green (if I can find it Not on Links)

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • something other

Votes: 2 6.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting , ok more like hoarding Military Surplus For Years.For the Most Part the only thing I shoot is Reloads
Having a few Extra $ I am looking to add some more for "SHTF"
Remember it will be Stacked and Buried Deep
I was Leaning to the PMC as it is new Production and Reloadable maybe .07 more per round
and Yes I want 7.62

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My loaded shoots the best with the 147gr PMC FMJ-BT's. I've been working up a collection of them. I get better groups with them at 100 than most 168gr match ammo.

So yeah... PMC is my vote.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
All the PMC ammo I have shot has always performed well for me. Given that and the fact that it is reloadable I would go with the PMC.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
SOG was offering 750rd cases of '90's Radway, loaded on strippers, in 75rd bandoleers, all sealed up in foil, packed in a wood crate. I don't think it gets any better than that. Talk about SHTF... bust open the crate and you have ammo ready to go and load.

It's my choice...

Full case on the bottom, broken case in the box above it...

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Stash all the "sure-fire" ammo you can scrounge. It is what it is, not loaded for your rifle(s) per se, so some will shoot better than others. But it'll all shoot OK enough.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I bought a case of .223 PMC back around 1981 and the brass is still going strong. But then again, it hasn't had to go through an M1A action.

I've never been heavy into buying foreign surplus - no real reason, it just worked out that way. But I have shot up cases of some IMI, Privi, and Brazilian surplus, all in 7.62. It doesn't matter what gun I shoot them through, they just don't shoot very well for me - 3-4" groups at 100. That's true even in my GAP bolt gun that will shoot new factory ammo into 3/8" groups. But at least I get to reclaim the cases in the IMI and Privi.

The only other knock was with the Brazilian ammo bought in a sealed wooden crate. When I eventually opened it, about 1/3 of the brass was too corroded to try and shoot (even though each 20-round box was sealed in its own heavy plastic bag). I lived in the desert at the time so I know that corrosion didn't come from excess humidity on my end.

If reloading the brass is a factor in your deep-storage SHTF ammo, be sure and put back the other components, too. I'm in the process of reorganizing my stash and found all kinds of stuff (mainly bulk bullets from Wideners) that I had put back and forgot about over the years. Those bulk bullets are cheap enough when you catch them on special, but I've never found them to be very accurate - just like the bulk surplus ammo. I'm going to go ahead and load them up for SHTF ammo, but that will be the last ammo I reach for unless we're talking about short range engagements.

ETA: But I'd rather have a stash of not-so-accurate ammo than be caught with nothing while waiting to put together the good stuff.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
I prefer the German MEN 94 sold at Wideners. Most accurate NATO I have shot, including RG. I prefer over the RG. Stuff is almost match ammo. I have little difficulty putting them all in the 10-ring at 200 yds.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My Socom likes PMC bronze. When I Chronographed it, the S.D. was in single digits. Good brass to reload with also.
While I have you here, Charles, Midway has dogtown rifle bullets on sale in the new November flyer.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Socom likes PMC bronze. When I Chronographed it, the S.D. was in single digits. Good brass to reload with also.
While I have you here, Charles, Midway has dogtown rifle bullets on sale in the new November flyer.

Glenn
I do like Single Digit SD's
I I do have some DogTown's Coming and how did you Know Me and My Girls like them"""""""""""

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I do like Single Digit SD's
I I do have some DogTown's Coming and how did you Know Me and My Girls like them"""""""""""
You asked about them a while back.
I got the flyer today, so I thought I would let you know in the post.

The single digit S.D. was in a 16.25 barrel. your mileage may vary. It is great ammo for the price.

Glenn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.