M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this may be a worn op rod spring issue, but, thought I would ask.....

Was shooting the Super Match today when I started to get a, "sproing" noise, much like the sound of the buffer spring in an M16 / AR15 rifle stock. I checked the rifle and noticed the gas plug had loosened up..... Torqued it to around 50 inch lbs and continued shooting, still getting the noise.

Took the old girl down and everything is smooth as silk..... no binding, pinching, sticking, etc........ The spring is greased and the op rod is shiny and polished inside with no burs.

The op rod spring measures 15 5/8 long....... I believe the stock specs are around 15.2 long......

The inner edges where the spring coils meet each other under compression look, "flat".....

The spring is old (don't laugh).... about 15-17 years.... but, only has around 2000 rounds on it.... I guess it's time to change it!!!!!

Just wanted to get some opinions on it before ordering a new spring, just in case it might be something else.......

Thanks
Gordi

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Is the spring straight or bent? If the spring is bent it could explain the flat spots and noise.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Not sure if thats even a problem. I have noticed my rifle has a "ring" when firing. Maybe the spring is starting to get some vibrations in it because it just wants toDI5

Best way to determine a worn op rod spring is where your brass is ending up. If its at the 2'oclock position you have a strong spring. If the brass is ending up at 4 or 5 oclock then you have a weaker spring.....At least thats what I've been told.

My rifle throws the brass at the 2"o clock position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rifle did seem to, "bark" a little harder when the noise started... i pulled the piston to see if it was clogged, but, it was very clean, hardly any carbon pulled out with the drill set.....

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm just not sure if its a problem. I would just make sure the rifle is assembled correctly and if its shoots fine then your probably OK.

Or you can get a new spring and try it out. If it stops the noise then report back and let us know.DI2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK.... I feel relieved and stupid at the same time......

Checked out everything and all is perfect..... Greased the op spring and it was still making the noise..... Daxxit!

Then it hit me.... the Harris Bipod has two springs..... guess what.... it was the Dxxn bipod springs making the noise!!!!!!!

I guess from sitting so long the tension is not what it used to be and they are giving off a harmonic vibration.....

Well, I had already ordered the Tubb spring.... I am sure it will only help and shouldn't need replacing.....

and, while ordering the spring..... I broke down and ordered a Geissele Match Trigger for the LR-308 build I am working onGI1...... $30 off with a coupon from Midway USA....... Life is Good and all is Right in the Universe again

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Just so you know, my buddy ordered a new chrome silicone spring for his M1. Not sure if its the same as the Tubb spring but he had alot of feeding issues with it and it turned out his spring was too long and needed a couple of coils cut off to match the GI spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.