M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I picked up this barrel recently and need some light shone on it.

https://imgur.com/a/Xh0kvGO

It’s the heaviest M14 barrel I’ve ever seen, taken off a Winchester receiver with TRW oprod, trigger housing and HRT A10 WE bolt.

My plan is to build it using an old 90’s import, heel engraved Norinco receiver.

As you can see in the pictures it has a dovetailed oprod guide and doesn’t taper until the gas cylinder.

Again no markings to speak of and very heavy!

Has a Leupold scout mount attached also.

Is this a common configuration?

Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Jon

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Impossible to say what barrel with out any markings, but my guess is an Douglas barrel from the very late 1970s to the early to mid-1980s. I have one like it on a 1980 or 1981 SAI Supermatch (unmarked, same profile). Many, if not most of them, were unmarked back in the early days.

The oversized op-rod guides used today on heavy barrels came out in the mid-1980s, so prior to the mid-1980s M1As gunsmith would have to braze onto the barrel the op rod guide, which is what I see on your barrel. It was a tedious process that required both skill and patience.

Given the barrel is likely 35 to 40 years old at this point, I would get a throat erosion gauge and check the barrel wear. If its at 4+ on the guage, I would replace it with a new barrel. Why someone mounted a scope rail directly to the barrel is quite bizarre, and honestly, that looks like a "Bubba" job. I have never seen that, and it is not common. Without a handguard the heat mirage would have been a real issue...

Good luck with you build.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Random Guy!

I sure hope it’s not shot out. :(

Do you know if these were made with a match chamber or a standard 7.62/308?

What stock do you have in your supermatch? I’m thinking a beefy oversized wood stock to support this barrel!

Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts