M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

Hopefully I'm not violating any rules by posting a link to this auction, since it's over. I bought this M14 stock which is clearly taken off a rifle that was used little if any - no carbon in the barrel channel, no wear on buttplate, etc. But I'm curious as to mfg, and there are no indications whatsoever marked on the stock under the buttplate, or anywhere else. No numbers, no W-W, S, H, or anything else.

It has a slightly beefy contour, but not unusually so. The serif-P doesn't seem to prove anything as far as I can tell from reading about the various characteristics of the different mfg's.

Anyone care to venture a guess? I should note, the stock has an interesting factory repair to the heel area, visible in one of the pics. Never seen one of these before, but it's executed skillfully.

Thanks,
DeWayne

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=430656542

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Based on the reseach from "Different" our forum member:

Stock has - Pin Punch Front Ferruel, DOD and Serif Proof P marking [no definative butt plate markings]

So....................

Pin Punch Front Ferrule were used by:
H. Sacks & Sons
Harrington & Richardson Arms
SE Overton - made stocks for TRW
Springfield Armory
Winchester-Western

A combination of DOD and Serif Font Proof P - Reduce manufactures to:
Winchester-Western
Springfield Armory and TRW [S.E. Overton made stocks for ->TRW] and used both Serif P and Ariel P

So this stock would would have been manufactured by Winchester, Springfield Armory or TRW - made by S.E. Overton.

It favors a TRW/S.E. Overton -> but in theory could be any of the three manufactures above in red!

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
It's really a toss up. The left side of side of the stock has Springfield contours, whereas the right has TRW. Though I'm still relatively new, haven't seen a TRW stock with serified 'P' on the grip, so my guess is it's a Springfield or Winchester Stock, leaning towards Springfield.

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts
I will give you the definitive answer, it is an Overton stock. I have documented Springfields, Winchesters and Overtons and this stock fits the Overton to a tee. Not mentioned above, is the fact that the Overton(TRW) is thicker in the wrist which this stock is.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
I will give you the definitive answer, it is an Overton stock. I have documented Springfields, Winchesters and Overtons and this stock fits the Overton to a tee. Not mentioned above, is the fact that the Overton(TRW) is thicker in the wrist which this stock is.
Not trying to throw a wrench in things, finally got a look at the pics on my computer instead of my phone. Seeing the high-arc DAS, switching by guess to TRW. BUT, and again not trying to one-up you here, I've finished a few springfield walnuts with thicker wood in the wrist.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fatsorock, I think what you're seeing is the inlay repair I mentioned.

Overton/TRW would be fine by me. As you may recall, Overton used some pretty ingenious inlay repairs on the butts of Garand stocks for IHC (the famous "half moon" inlays) so I can totally see Overton executing a repair as seen on this stock at the receiver heel. Kind of neat.

Thanks for the input, all.

DeWayne

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts
Not trying to throw a wrench in things, finally got a look at the pics on my computer instead of my phone. Seeing the high-arc DAS, switching by guess to TRW. BUT, and again not trying to one-up you here, I've finished a few springfield walnuts with thicker wood in the wrist.
Flipmaster, no problem. Its opinion anyway, as there are no definitive stamps to identify manufacturer for sure.

I still believe it is an Overton based on these traits:

1 slab side
2 dimpled ferrule
3 diamond shape in front of mag well
4 thicker wrist
5 dod stamp

The only thing standing in the way of my being a hundred percent sure is the "P" proof stamp as none of my Overtons have that feature.

If I had to be locked in and nailed down to one, I say it has to be an Overton.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Flipmaster, no problem. Its opinion anyway, as there are no definitive stamps to identify manufacturer for sure.

1 slab side
2 dimpled ferrule
4 thicker wrist
5 dod stamp

The only thing standing in the way of my being a hundred percent sure is the "P" proof stamp as none of my Overtons have that feature.

Same here. That 'P' is the real wrench in the engine here. Maybe Lee will chime in here soon.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Renisin, what are you referring to when you say "diamond shape in front of mag well?" - that's something I'm not familiar with.

DeWayne
Look at photo #24, right in front of the mag well you can see the diamond shape that tapers into the fore grip of the stock.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts

1 slab side
2 dimpled ferrule
4 thicker wrist
5 dod stamp

M1Army - last thought on this one - you guys likely have this see red below.....

From "Differents' Guidance"

Proof P markings on M14 stocks have been observed in two styles, serif font and Arial style. Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. used the Arial style proof marking. Winchester marked the stocks on completed rifles with a serif font proof stamp. Springfield Armory and TRW used both serif and Arial P proof stamps.

DOD cartouche and proof P markings both visible on the stock - indicates a stock used to assemble a M14 rifle at the factory: Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Springfield Armory, TRW and Winchester-Western (Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.) M14 NM rifles built by Springfield Armory and TRW were also given both markings on the stock.

My understanding is that S.E. Overton -> Manufactured stocks for TRW - so based on the guidance above -> Overton Manufactured the stock for TRW as a contractor and [TRW assembled the M14 which then included both DOD and Proof P stamps] - This assumes the stock was fully assembled/built and proof fired after being milled and stamped by the DOD. So it would seem that would be the history of this stock and why is has a DOD and Proof P.

The manufacturer identification, if present, is located on the butt end under the butt plate.

H - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. (Worcester, MA)
O - S . E. Overton Co. (South Haven, MI) (made stocks for TRW)
SA or S.A. - Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA)
S under a half-diamond - H. Sacks & Sons, Inc. (Brookline, MA) (subcontractor to Springfield Armory)
W-W - Winchester-Western (New Haven, CT)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It would be nice to remove buttplate and see if any markings are there ,my guess also is TRW Overton BUT Springfield Armory also used the high arch DAS stamp on some stocks .I've had two or three .I'll got pictures on three computers some no longer in use ,I'll see if I have that DAS .But in my mind I do not.

300, serial SA walnut high arch DAS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts