M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend on another forum asked about these parts. Can anyone shed some light on them for us? I'll post his actual question with pics. I think he just wants to know if these are indeed military parts.

# on bolt is 7790186 over 66118-KK
the rest is easy to make out....he did tell me the hammer was marked with a code also in the trigger housing.

Thanks in advance. Once again I'm being a PITA, but you guys seem to know everything there is to know about M1A's GI2

I have a standard, Springield Armory M1A that I plan to sell. Just trying to determine the parts origin. The gun was made in late 1993, a period where most SA guns were supposedly made largely with GI parts. Here are pics of the bolt, op rod and trigger group markings. I am not familiar with the KK code on the bolt, for example. Also, I am not certain that the parts are GI as I don't know if the new made commercial parts duplicated the markings or what. Any help determining if these are genuine GI or new made will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Bolt is USGI Winchester-66118 is cage code for Winchester. Op-rod and trigger housing are commerical SAI, not USGI.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will relay the info to him.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am the one brassmagnet was seeking information for. I am registered here after all, it seems. Didn't remember since I have been brain locked on 1919s and that forum for so many years.

Here is more info. The hammer is marked C 46006-5 SA, and my guess is that it is USGI. That is an old series drawing number, though I don't know if later production changed that.

The barrel is chrome lined, and marked:

H-R 7790190 2-61-1

It also has the Geneseo, IL stamping over the chamber area. Not sure if they put that on even their military barrels or copied the original mfg marks on new made barrels.

Pardon my ignorance here. I know Browning .30 cal beltfed markings quite well, but am a total novice on M1 or M14 stuff. I appreciate the help in figuring out what I have.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Barrel is USGI made by Harrington & Richardson made in February 1961.

Hammer is USGI made by the original Government Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks, ripsaw, that's exactly what I would have deduced.

I am going to have to hang out more here. While I am selling this particular gun now, I have plans for a build on an LRB receiver in the future. I greatly appreciate the quick responses and great information.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Lucky#13, I look forward to the day you start your build. Knowing the purist that you are, I'm sure that will be one fine rifle! Nice to see you here on this forum....

Thanks ripsaw for providing the info on these parts!

Side Note: Anyone here that ever has any questions on 1919 Air Cooled Belt Fed Brownings, Lucky#13 is very knowledgeable on drawing #'s, makers, etc., and is the guy to ask questions. If he doesn't know, he (or his friend) WILL find an answer for you

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
You bet guys, glad to be of help, just like everyone I have found here is....I just hang around more than most...therefor am able to see more questions, and also learn more that way.
Yeah,yeah,...all the other guys will say I hang at the PX more too......sorry, can't deny it, too many good deals to pass up, especially when doing a build, and I do a lot of builds.
Welcome to the forum !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts