M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has offered me a stripped chinese bolt. now i searched the forum and honestly it just confused me more. rockwell this softness that.
So can someone please answer in laymans terms if its safe to use.
as all i know is that its stripped, its chinese and at some point been refurbished.
so is it ok? do usgi parts fit?

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are talking about using it in a non Chinese clone receiver, I would not. Firstly, the bolt lugs won't agree well and bear properly/enough and the bolt may be a bit short and soft. Headspace may not be proper with the bolt. You would need headspace gages or a gunsmith with gages to do it, but I do not recommend it. My one experience with the Polytech that I have owned is that the left bolt lug was deformed from firing. I got it that way. Nothing happened to the original owner, but I fitted a TRW Bolt. I got lucky. Mine dropped in with no receiver modification with a new Krieger heavy barrel.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking as a spare but way too much technical jargon out there for me to understand and that after a pot of coffee.

·
Super Moderator
11,155 Posts
A friend has offered me a stripped chinese bolt. now i searched the forum and honestly it just confused me more. rockwell this softness that.
So can someone please answer in laymans terms if its safe to use.
as all i know is that its stripped, its chinese and at some point been refurbished.
so is it ok? do usgi parts fit?
This might help you understand better the issue your contemplating? The bolt lug geometry with China made bolts is not the same as American made bolts are while there close, close isn't good enough.... The China made bolts are made of good material however their heat treatment has always been iffy, they tend too be softer than American made bolts are and there is a possibility they can peen both the bolt lugs and the receiver lugs.

Many years back SEI offered too heat treat China made rifles and offered a USGI bolt conversion if they didn't meet US standards, I do not know if they still offer this service today. If I had a foreign made bolt it would be relegated too paperweight status.

Reactions: RDS

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the prices now for bolts are insane 250+. yet again wish id got spares when i first got the rifle.
🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and before you think why is this guy being cheap, well erm ive blew thru my gun/ammo fund and now am tryin not to get caught by the wife buying extras. so if i ever disappear you all know she found out an im under the roses in the garden lol. jk.

·
Premium Member
17,481 Posts
Any time I have called Bula Defense Systems for any parts including bolts, they have had them in stock and ready to ship. The website is for rifles only at this point.

Bolts.jpg

Reactions: RDS

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any time I have called Bula Defense Systems for any parts including bolts, they have had them in stock and ready to ship. The website is for rifles only at this point.

View attachment 446825
so whats there going rate for a bolt and how do i know what will fit my rifle and a future rifle im starting to collect parts for? you can PM me if needed with those answers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts