M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'm new! My name is Coby and I'm 19. I live in Utah and I love shooting. I don't have any firearms at the moment because I had to sell them to buy my dad a headstone earlier this year. I joined here in search of M1A expertise and recommendations.

I plan on getting a new rifle around Xmas time so I'm starting some research now. Ive been debating what rifle to get. I've contemplated everything from Remington 700 to a AR15 A4 clone, but something keeps pulling me back to wanting the M1A. Ive always like the look and history of the M14, as well as its overall level of awesomeness. So I figured I should get a M1A.

I'm on a pretty strict budget of $2000. I can either spend it all on an M1A and not have much ammo for the first month of having it, or i can spend $1500ish on the rifle and get 1000+ rounds of ammo or some reloading equipment.

For the first little while of having the rifle I just want the basic M1A. I want to learn proper shooting with it with irons and familiarize myself with it. Then over time I would like to build a decent EBR rifle.

I'm leaning towards the Scout version of the M1A at the moment because Ive read that the 18" barrel is capable of everything I want the rifle to do. I mainly just go out into the Utah desert to shoot. Set up targets at varying distances and have some fun. I obviously want an accurate gun, but crazy accuracy isn't my overall concern. Sure I want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at though.

What would you recommend I do with $2000 to get into the M1A world?

So with that said, I'm here just looking for some info and this seems like a great community, thanks!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum Coby. Keep an eye on the PX here on this forum and I'm sure you'll come across a nice M1A with your name on it. You should have plenty of money to get your rifle and all the ammo you need to blow targets off the face of the earth. Enjoy!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome Coby,$2000 is plenty.like Rawnerves says keep an eye out at our PX.you would be surprised at what comes up around here.have fun and happy hunting.keep us updated with what you find.GI6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I figure a basic M1A and ~1000 rounds of .308 will keep me busy for a while since I want to be accurate with it and not just shoot aimlessly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad Coby,I was just thinking about mine today.After my divorce I couldnt afford to replace my guns until I bought my M1a with his life insurance money. Would rather have the old man any dayGI4 loosing him at your age has to be hard as he##.Loosing him at 35 was hard enough.
On your rifle.Look in the PX as rawnerves said,but try to get your hands on a few,shoulder them see what feels right.
You really cant go wrong no matter which configuration.I started with a loaded springfield,now I want a scout,but if I had the money in hand,I might jump on the first full length match I found.
Full length should give a little better accuracy(should I said) but the range reports on the scouts have been suprising.
I would consider the rifle,maker and parts first.If you find say a early to mid 90's with all or most GI parts,jump on it FAST,the scout can come later(maybe as a build).
Theres a lot of information and more than a little expertise on this forum,and these guys love to share.May be a member close to let take you shootingGI2 and if you run into one someone will help I.D. parts if needed.
Your in the right place to learn,and were glad to have you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might want to google "Gun Forums" or "Gun Classifieds" , and keep the links together. Do a search once a night for what you are looking for and you just may find a rifle at the right price. Searching gun forums or classifieds in a state that has a high unemployment rate may help bring the price down to what you can afford. I had been watching this rifle for some time and thought it was a good deal but I found a Supermatch over on AuctionArms.com that I bought instead. This Rifle is sold but you can find one if you stay vigilant..

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102214&highlight=M1a

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Colby, good deals are to be had in our very own PX. I have bought more than a few rifles here over the years here, and have never been disappointed.GI2Just keep lookin' and something wil turn up.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You sound like a young man with a level head on your shoulders. I suppose coming to an M-14 site and asking for advise is like going to a car dealership and asking if they think you need a new car. Of course we think this is what you should get. Is it the cheapest? Absolutley not. Will it do anything an AR 10 won't do? I'll plead the fith here. But you said you like it's history and I assume you like the look. So you will have to make up your own mind.
OK no that that is settled and you going to get your own M1a. You already have the advise you need on where to find it. I'd stick with a cheaper one at first and buy the ammo.If you buy smart you can always trade up later. Reloading can save you some money and it is not that hard to do or expensive (relative term). The biggest expensive is startup. You can find this stuff all over the place. I have bought some of mine on ebay, estate sales, yard sales. and gun shows.(I have way more than I need) It is time consuming and monotinous. If you have a lot of time on your hands it might be good for you. I suggest you go to a library or somewhere to get some books on the subject. There is some discussion of reloading here in the ammo forum and if you ever have a qustion there are some very experiened people here to help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive always like the look and history of the M14, as well as its overall level of awesomeness.
That should be a standard criteria in firearms reviews. Accuracy, Fit and Finish, OLA (Overall level of Awesomeness).

The M1A - First in OLA.

I think you came to the right place.

Take your time looking and be patient. Read the information on this board. There is a lot of information here that will help you in whether or why one rifle for sale may be better than others. A rifle that has been cared for and upgraded over time with better parts (like USGI replacements) may be a better value for you. You'll see a lot here about old USGI parts and probably wonder why something 40 or 50 years old seems better than newly manufactured. The reason is that the USGI parts were all made in the US, most are forged, not cast, and they were made to extremely high tolerances and has to pass rigid inspections to be allowed into inventory. There are modern commercial manufacturers today that make past the same old school way. LRB and Smith Enterprises come to mind.

If you have a question, ask. If you don't know, ask. Lot os guys here have been with the M14 since it was born, and are invaluable sources of information. Don't get discuraged if an old timer seems irritated with you. They are all good guys, and a reply like that only means you caught them before their their nap, or they are having a bad "fiber" day.

Welcome! It is great to see a nice squared away young man join the ranks here.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
We should get together and shoot in the next month. I shoot up at the Bountiful Lions Club with RAMMAC and Stickboy.

I have a standard and the other 2 have other models.
PM me if this sounds like something you are interested in.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good question

Colby 1st welcome to the forum and thanks for being the man you are ! sorry about your dad , your are a testament to him and his legacy! I feel that the loaded model in standard length
is the best value period ! all the extras with ability to remove stock and replace (no bedding) very accurate with factory options, should be about $1500.00 . after that is done check it out som will have USGI parts , if not when you can buy USGI parts like trigger group and bolt for spare or drop in and factory for spare, look at sadlack upgrades in gas parts and spring guide. build up as you go and you will never part with the rifle you build the way you need it! stocks are a BIG choice and many USGI wood in different flavors, synthetic , glass, and aluminum, names like sage, troy, mcmillian, jae and others are out there for $$$ ! if you like a personal touch our own XO "SIX" has some fine painted ones that will say WOW
everytime you or someone else looks at her check out "WHAMO CAMO " and see what you think!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

1 - 11 of 11 Posts