M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haha I suppose an argument can be made for those areas being below the waist. I'm from San Jose which is starting to look a lot like SF these days with the homeless camps at every turn. I'm sure in the next few years we will all have to get that app that shows you where to watch out for human feces.

LOL bluecapone!
I have a Marine friend who retired and moved to San Jose and DO hear the stories!
HE is on a mission to clean it up! Is that not what the community does!?
He definitely has his work cut out for him. Much respect for being one of the few to take action. I feel like there might be a small movement of conservatives building momentum. Kind of hard not to notice the progressive liberal leadership turning California into an actual toilet at a pretty alarming rate.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Some friends and I regularly shoot at the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club.
Usually on Sundays.

There is usually at least a few M-14's on the benches.

It's the nicest range we've found in the bay area. The facility is clean and organized and the RO's are friendly and professional. I drive an hour and twenty minutes to get there. The only other range I'd consider in the area is the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, 2 hours away.

We set up at the far end of the 100yd range, arrive at opening, 8:30, and stay until mid afternoon.

Come on out, it's always a good time.

pg
USA2

·
Registered
461 Posts
San Jose, huh? I'm near Monterey. It's a nice day for a shoot. Over cast and no wind. It's too bad Laguna Seca is having an "event" with bicycles so I figure the range is closed.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
So far I've shot at Manteca Sports which could easily be mistaken for bum shack... Their office looks like you'd find bums sharing needles in the corner. The range was nice which i suppose is all that really matters.

I also just recently shot at Panoche hills and was able to take my rem700 to 300 yards for the first time. Other than that not familiar with any other ranges.
I shoot Highpower out at Sac Valley Shooting Center sometimes, I’ve shot sheet practical matches on their 1000 yard range with the NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC), if you’re on CalGuns.Net they post match and practice schedules in the Long Range Shooting forum

Sac Valley https://www.sacvalley.org
NCPPRC https://ncpprc.com

NCPPRC has regular practice days on the 1000 range every month at Sac Valley, for a small extra fee paid to NCPPRC on top of the daily range fee you can shoot steel and paper targets on the 1000 yard range with them, the 1000 yard range isn’t open to the public. There’s Highpower practice days out there too on the 1000 yard range using their target pits, check the Sac Valley calander for those days, they run like a match with sessions on the 200, 300 & 600 yard shooting lines.

I shoot out at Pinoche Hills, they’re closing the gate to vehicle traffic for fire season on Monday 4/15, it will reopen in late October. I hope you’re not going out there alone...It invites trouble from shady drifters and highwaymen...BLM goons can be a hassle too, but since Trump came in they haven’t been as bad.

Mac GI6

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Welcome from the North Bay!

Wish Castro Valley was still open....
I shot my first Highpower match at Castro Valley back in ‘78, I first shot there in ‘71, it was my home range until John started managing the place, I moved over to Richmond in 2001, but I miss Castro Valley too GI9

Mac

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Welcome to the forum.

Some friends and I regularly shoot at the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club.
Usually on Sundays.

There is usually at least a few M-14's on the benches.

It's the nicest range we've found in the bay area. The facility is clean and organized and the RO's are friendly and professional. I drive an hour and twenty minutes to get there. The only other range I'd consider in the area is the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, 2 hours away.

We set up at the far end of the 100yd range, arrive at opening, 8:30, and stay until mid afternoon.

Come on out, it's always a good time.

pg
Right on! Hopefully I can get out there next weekend. I did find that range on the web and it did look nice. Only other one that looked half way decent was Santa Clara rod and gun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So far I've shot at Manteca Sports which could easily be mistaken for bum shack... Their office looks like you'd find bums sharing needles in the corner. The range was nice which i suppose is all that really matters.

I also just recently shot at Panoche hills and was able to take my rem700 to 300 yards for the first time. Other than that not familiar with any other ranges.
I shoot Highpower out at Sac Valley Shooting Center sometimes, I’ve shot sheet practical matches on their 1000 yard range with the NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC), if you’re on CalGuns.Net they post match and practice schedules in the Long Range Shooting forum

Sac Valley https://www.sacvalley.org
NCPPRC https://ncpprc.com

NCPPRC has regular practice days on the 1000 range every month at Sac Valley, for a small extra fee paid to NCPPRC on top of the daily range fee you can shoot steel and paper targets on the 1000 yard range with them, the 1000 yard range isn’t open to the public. There’s Highpower practice days out there too on the 1000 yard range using their target pits, check the Sac Valley calander for those days, they run like a match with sessions on the 200, 300 & 600 yard shooting lines.

I shoot out at Pinoche Hills, they’re closing the gate to vehicle traffic for fire season on Monday 4/15, it will reopen in late October. I hope you’re not going out there alone...It invites trouble from shady drifters and highwaymen...BLM goons can be a hassle too, but since Trump came in they haven’t been as bad.

Mac
Yeah I shot panoche on the last day according to their schedule. Thanks for the heads up on going alone, I went with a couple buddies that day, worth the 2hr drive.

I was wondering why my other vet buddy was locking and loading his rifle and carrying it out with him to change targets. I assumed he had the notion that people might try to steal our gear wile we walked out.

After selling my house, if my buddy can help me get a position at Beal AFB, I’d love to shoot at sac.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just got one of my mystery material stocks (the no choice price) from treeline today. Appears to be walnut and I’m extremely surprised at the quality! Thought it would be a bit more beat up for the price.

I’ll start another thread and figure out how to get some pics up.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, you all seem very chill. I’ve been on various other forums for cars, motor cycles etc and noticed those forums have a much more elitest attitudes and people willing to throw shade for no reason. During all my research on this sight I found nothing but respect. Very impressed with everyone’s pacients and the willingness to help rather than roast. Seems like a great community.

Again, thanks all!

·
Forum Jester
6,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
After selling my house, if my buddy can help me get a position at Beal AFB, I’d love to shoot at sac.
Beal AFB has de-commissioned Titan II missle complexes, I’ve heard of guys on base exploring them, seen pics online too...Cool Cold War stuff but toxic AF in there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome from a former resident (not a native). Left a couple years ago. I used to go to Sunnyvale R&G. They are more ol' school there. The RSOs are friendly and usually commented when I brought my M1A or Mini-14. You have to show up early though. Usually too crowded. Los Altos R&G has a lot more lanes, but is a heftier drive. Sunnyvale has steel at 100 (though the steel is pretty beat up). Always get comments when the guys in their ARs were hitting the steel and the different sound it made when 30 cal hit it. :) It's fun for 22 shootin' too as they have a dedicated rimfire section.

The Folsom range is huge and worth the meandering drive to get there if you are in that area. Attended Appleseed there once.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts