M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I, along with about 25 other members of the South Texas Marksmanship Training Center (pictured), used to have 'real' M14s, on temporary loan from the US Army. (That's me, kneeling, second from right, light gray sweatshirt.) The auto-select was disabled while we were the temporary custodians of these fine rifles. All the rifles were recalled to active duty, to be rebuilt with updated optics and put to good use in Afghanistan.

While the proud possessor of the rifle, I shot my first ever 1,000-yard round using my M14 at the Tiger Valley Range up near Waco, at a Long Range clinic that inspired me to get into that genre of long-range shooting, and eventually acquire a .308 bolt action 'Palma' rifle.
I love the .308 round. I have a DPMS LR308, in addition to the Palma rifle. And a couple M1 Garands. But the .223/5.56 is something else, too! I could shoot all of 'em all day.

This photo shows STMTC at our last all-M14 match before turning them back in for active duty:

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Welcome on board alamo308, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week neighbor. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you. I love the picture of your STMTC with real M14's for a match.

DI5

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Always glad when a neighbor from Texas has found the forum! I bet that was a sad day when you had to turn in those M14's! How was the transistion to M1A's and other M14 clones?

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum from central MS.
Thanks for sharing the picture and story. I developed my appreciation for the M14 with one assigned to be by our State Association...... A long time ago.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Welcome from another Texan, Alamo 308. great photo and story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome from El Paso! I, too, love the .308! I've had a DPMS RECON and currently have a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol in .308; plus some Rem. 700 tactical rifles. Also several AR-15's ranging from the Sig Sauer P516 (pistol) to some really high-end ones! Cannot get enough. I share your pain. Have a ball!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sitting on ammo crate

Welcome on board alamo308, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you. I love the picture of your STMTC with real M14's for a match.
DI5

Thank you for your service, XXIV Corps. We were there at the same time: Me in 71, 72, 73. Also spent time in Thailand, and many hours overhead in Laos.

My old ammunition crate, now serving as a 'coffee table' in the guest room, is a solid wood, WW2, 1500-round (APC) .30-06 "5-round clips on Bandoliers" ammo crate - empty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum! Always glad when a neighbor from Texas has found the forum! I bet that was a sad day when you had to turn in those M14's! How was the transistion to M1A's and other M14 clones?
Thanks, Glashaus.
Most of us are still transitioning; only a few M1As, no clones yet.
I want one.
GI2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
San Antonio and South Texas?

Hey, it sure looks like there are a lot of us 'Old School' shooters down around San Antonio (El Paso, Dallas, and Leander are welcome too). Y'all should be shooting in the STMTC monthly "High Power" matches! We host one on the third Sunday every month, and every third month it's a JCGarand Match, with all military .30-06 and .308 rifles welcome. Check out the events calendar on the website.
:ARM37:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts