M14 Forum banner

Hello from Germany

Tags
luxdeftec
3K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  johnnv 
#1 ·
Dear M14 - Owners,

I want to introduce myself first:

My Name is Thomas, I am from Berlin, Germany. I am almost 50 years old and owner of a LuxDefTec M 14 since 2015.

I work since 1986 as a policeofficer in Berlin, was security detail for the U.S. Ambassador to Germany many years, for the DCM too. Now I work as an armorer for the Berlin anti - terrrorism unit. In my opinion, a good job, every day with a lot of guns around me.

I am here for reading and learning, upgrading my M14 in a little bit more accuracy. The M14 / M1A is a very interesting thing to me.

My other hobby: Russian All - terrain - vehicles like UAZ and Lada Niva.

#2 ·
Welcome on board Thomas_Ruider, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great weekend. Thank you for your service to your country, Germany is better off because of you.

Reactions: Thomas_Ruider
#4 ·
#11 ·
@all: Thank you very much for your welcome!

I read in your Forum since years ( but hadn´t time for signing in ) and determined a very good culture of speech and togetherness. Members helpes with knowledge and patience.

Proud, that I can be part of it by owning an amazing firearm. This week I was with it in a shooting cinema, had a good quota of hits on passing boars ( just on screen ), with iron sights. The M14 is great for fast capturing the target and has a fine trigger.

@Jeff: Thanks for sharing the pictures! Amazing cars, barbecue and desert flowers! The older Jeep is a good base for optimizing to trial and rockcrawling i bet.
Me and my girlfriend are some days in the year at similar meetings, most of them on old parade grounds with a lot of mud. Advantage of the russian cars: They are cheap, and it hurts you not so much, when you stick to the chin in the dirt...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QKvP2SnJ0"]14.04.2018 Nivatreffen Peckfitz Der Ural kommt! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxzsnousXLo"]14.04.2018 Peckfitz Nivas auf der Außenbahn - YouTube[/ame]

@Douglas Haig: The G3 was my very first firearm i shot! ( 2nd time was the MG3 ) I was 16, at the "Rose Range" in Berlin - Wannsee, an old shooting range, at that time under administration of the U.S. Army. Today, we have still ten of them in our storage, together with some AKs peaceful side by side...

@Louis: Best greetings to your buddy! Beginning of the 60s in Berlin was maybe a dangerous time, no one could know if the Russians might come across the wall overnight.

#16 · (Edited)
hello Thomas,

your post brought back a flood of memories.

my dad was stationed in Fulda during the late 50's and early 60's.

it was indeed a very tense time, expecting thousands of Russian tanks pouring through the "Fulda Gap".

there were monthly "alerts" (think sirens blaring at dark thirty) to test the readiness of the troops. everyone on the post would mobilize to meet the "threat" that could come anytime.

even my boy scout troop had a paramilitary vibe to it, training in marksmanship, advanced first aid and surviving in the woods.

#23 ·
Welcome aboard

Thomas.
I see you're the guy who will give the lowdown on the Walther barrel for the M14 platform. I'm a big barrel fan and plan on picking up a couple. I have a 1979 Mercedes 300d I'm working on making my road car. Owned a few German cars 1957 VW Bug, !971 VW Bus and 1969 911T Porsche all Great Cars. They were drivers. This fall a Thomas from Denmark is heading my way going run him around a bit. Once again Welcome Aboard.
Pfc out

#24 ·
@ Thoban: I know the former HQ - Area well, I pass it every day when I have to go to the Explosion Stand Grunewald nearby.
I have License for Explosives, blow up things is as funny as shooting.

@stoky: Greetings back to Wyoming! Very Interesting! My Grandfather was in the 2nd U.S. Cavalry Regiment in the War. In Bavaria he met my Grandmother, so here I am.

@chaindrive: It was reilly a crazy time, every morning you woke up and turned radio on, if mayby the Sowjet Anthem plays on your favorite station. In Police we were all drilled for combat and using Machine Guns and Grenades. I am very glad, History turned to other side.

@Louis: Can you fix that problem with your hacked account?

@ Tom Paine: I remember, there was an attack on U.S. General Kroesen in Heidelberg with RPG 7. And some other Attacks. Good that times are over.

@ Wolf: Hallo, dann kennst Du Dich ja gut aus in Berlin. In der JLK hatte ich auch ein paar mal zu tun.

@ PFC Thomas: I am not shure if a Lothar Walther Barrel is able to make a M14 a more accurate gun. I have good results with my iron sights on 50 yards; At 100 yards I need my Steiner or a Red Dot Sight; both lacks in accuracy, I had wandering groups cause I used a cheap scope mount. Yesterday I ordered the Springfield Mount ( Hoping in having no more wedged casts ) and the Sadlak Spring Guide ( thanks to this Forum, I learn a lot here ) and will go on.
Very cool cars you had! I had two Bugs too, 1967 and 1972...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.