M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my m1a Scout and I love it. Unfortunately, when I tried to adjust the front sight, I found the screw to be frozen. I read other threads and put some liquid wrench on there. Of course, by now the head is pretty well stripped. Am I pretty much screwed at this point or is there an easy fix to this? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,092 Posts
welcome to the forum! I am sorry that you have had some problems with your front sight screw. I would recommend, to receive maximum advice and attention, that you click the link below and place your thread there. Lots of advice can be shared, but they may not see it here.

http://m14forum.com/m14/

To add my own advice, I would agree that you would need to soak it, and perhaps may need to get an EZ out, to help back out a stripped screw. you can typically get a whole set of EZ outs at a hardware store. They look like this:

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
I assume you mean the large allen screw that is facing back towards the shooter. If is stuck, it is usually the result of dried cosmoline and such. A couple of passes with a propane plumbers torch should loosen it.

If you are soaking it with oil, make sure you get it on the front, back and middle.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
When I saw the title of your thread all I could do was agree ! ...With yalls laws and politicians all the gun owners in Kali. need help, desperately....

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
First question I have to ask is why you are adjusting it to begin with? Usually, you leave the sight alone and do all windage adjustment from the rear. Just curious.
negative. your initial zero you set your mechanical zero on your rear and adjust the front. after bzo is correct everything after that you use your rear sight.

anyway, to the OP. go get a can of PB blaster and spray some on the screw and let sit for a week. then use some form of eazy-out on the screw.

·
Registered
977 Posts
negative. your initial zero you set your mechanical zero on your rear and adjust the front. after bzo is correct everything after that you use your rear sight.

anyway, to the OP. go get a can of PB blaster and spray some on the screw and let sit for a week. then use some form of eazy-out on the screw.
Dan, I still am wondering why. Has he fired the rifle at all from rest or slung up to see if there is issue with it. Just trying to be thorough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the help. From all the advice it seems that moving out of CA is my best bet, although shooting in 75F year-round ain't so bad.

Yes, I have taken the rifle to the range. It was off by about 6in to the right.

I like the idea of using JB weld and sacrificing an allan wrench. however, the fact that the screw sits parallel to the barrel makes it difficult to turn a glued-in wrench. Is there any trick around this problem?

The screw has since sat in liquid wrench for a week. I will be trying an EZ out on it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Tomorrow's high will be around 82 then it's expected to drop down to about 73 degrees until around the middle of April.GI2
Yep...for all the other issues California has, the weather is generally not one of them. I lived in the lake Tahoe area for about 10 years....there is nothing so pleasant as a Sierra summer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I appreciate all the help. From all the advice it seems that moving out of CA is my best bet, although shooting in 75F year-round ain't so bad.

Yes, I have taken the rifle to the range. It was off by about 6in to the right.

I like the idea of using JB weld and sacrificing an allan wrench. however, the fact that the screw sits parallel to the barrel makes it difficult to turn a glued-in wrench. Is there any trick around this problem?

The screw has since sat in liquid wrench for a week. I will be trying an EZ out on it.
First try (if you have it already, or wish to do so) the first torx wrench that can be driven by a small (8 oz or less) hammer/driver into the stripped allen socket. Be sure it gets a good bite or use the next size. This is an 'instant' easy out and works well if the mechanical obstruction (rust etc.) is mediated first (Kroil, Ed's Red, PB Blaster treatment etc.).USN2

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Clamp the rifle in a padded vise securely and use a dremel cut off wheel CUT the sight off. Its a replaceable part this is not rocket science. You are working on a battle rifle,but still work with care.

Pfc out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.