M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents, pleased to meet you all.

I'm hoping to get some great feedback about M1As here on the Firing line.

A little about myself, I'm an overpaid government contractor, former active, still reserve military. I've got my OIF and GWOTEM...I'd rather let the young guys get their share of the dust from this point. lol

As far as my collection, I've got a beautiful SigArms 556, started out as a "sports configuration model" but since I live in a communist state and the SCM was all I could buy, I was stuck. Since I have replaced everything but the receiver and now it's not only an expensive SOB, it's what a small arm should be. Next I decided to move on a Bushmaster BA-50, which is their bolt-action 50 BMG. This thing is insane, topped with a TR23 Trijicon Accupoint with ARMS QD ring-mounts it's something to talk back to thunder with.

My M1A collection is what we are here to talk about, and I'll give the run down on how I got into these things. Because I'm overseas working for DOD, I can only get home so often to the States (CONUS) for tattoos and guns. I was at the local gun shop and knowing the salesman I asked if he had anything in 7.62 that I could consider, he walks from the back room with a new Springfield M1A standard, green synthetic stock and I instantly fell in love. So I moved on this, and had it lubed, inspected and on the line in 3 hours. 300 meters and first shot took the small coffee can 6 feet up and backwards. Iron sights on these things are so fun.

I decided to consider putting my M1A into a rail system, both to reduce the recoil, but also for the added ease of adding optics. I went with Troy's M1A/M14 SASS system with the MagPul PRS stock. I wanted a fixed optic, something not running on batteries and with a open sight picture, that led me to the Trijicon ACOG TA648 MGO, this is a 6x power ACOG, 48mm objective configured for M80 ammo (7.62 NATO). Just ordered the LaRue mount, not something on the website so had to call it in, but that will give me a QD option for this optic. On top of the upgraded weapon system and optics package, I also wanted to replace the traditional USGI birdcage with Troy's Medieval suppressor and brake. I'll get some photos up as soon as I figure out how to post them, but the range report on this rifle is as follows...

Shooting at 200, 300 and 400 meters, the rifle has no recoil, literally just a light bump. While shooting in the prone, and combined with the GG&G Heavy Duty bipod, the rifle is a tack driver at each distance. The ACOG makes the switch easy as the optic is marked for each in the view. While heavy, the rifle is ideal for bench shooting, a fixed position (hahaha) but if you have to move it, I added a 1913 rail adaptable carry handle from Center Fire Systems, bringing this M1A almost to the level of a M240 without the belt feeding.

The M1A not only impresses me, but it was also why I ordered and received a Springfield M1A loaded, with the black synthetic stock. I have done nothing to this M1A, I'm going to upgrade the spring guide and add the spring buffer by Sadlak, also considering the option to put a 1913 rail in the front bottom so a bipod can easily be used. My dad, who trained on the M14 while in basic and advanced infantry training before shipping off to Vietnam fell in love with this rifle, he was shooting dead-on at 400 meters with iron sights, I should add he is not a regular shooter so careful how you guys talk to the old Nam vets.

Looking to upgrade the pistons, going with the higher-end Sadlak TiN types. Besides, My M1A selection is well supplied with numerous CMI 20 round mags, just ordered some of the 25 round types today. Each has it's own home in a Pelican 1750 case.

Photos soon. NAV1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome aboard from NorCal and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Welcome aboard, LukeSpook, we love it when a new guy comes in and writes a lot about himself and what he's doing. I am sure you will enjoy the forums and being here with us, have fun.

-

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum LukeSpook. You said a mouthful, looks like your gonna have some fun here. Have a great holiday season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts