M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was in an all green synthetic stock. it felt really nice and seemed very quick to get on target. i really liked it but i hear horror stories about 6" groups at 100yds becuse of the sights. so i am wondering if this is what you guys are getting? for those of you who did change out the front sights what kind of results did you have. i already have a loaded and a bush model i just seem to like the shorter ones more. my loaded is a good rifle it is just way to long for me.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Just an idea. I put a direct connect Vortex FS and hooded GLFS on my Bush rifle. It's 39' LOA now, a SOCOM is 37.25". You get the benefits of the 18" barrel but only add 1.75" to length.

On top of that you only spend $150 instead $1,500 !

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
6" @100 is 18"@300. M.O.M. but I usually shoot 3-4 w/irons. Some days better. Glass it with a 4X Russian scope and it's plain cool! Groups 1/2 irons . Love it and just ordered a new dress for the lady.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I love my shorty. I did file down the blade on the front sight and just put in a USGI rear aperture recently. Shoots 1.5 - 3 inch groups on average. Operator is to blame for any bad shots with my rifle.( Hey wait... that's me! ) I have only shot it a few times with the new rear aperture and I'm still learning the sight window. My Socom 16 has over 1200 rounds through it, and has yet to have any FTF's or FTE's. You pull the trigger, it goes boom! And If you have not fired one, I really mean BOOM!

Glenn

·
Registered
362 Posts
it was in an all green synthetic stock. it felt really nice and seemed very quick to get on target. i really liked it but i hear horror stories about 6" groups at 100yds becuse of the sights. so i am wondering if this is what you guys are getting? for those of you who did change out the front sights what kind of results did you have. i already have a loaded and a bush model i just seem to like the shorter ones more. my loaded is a good rifle it is just way to long for me.
Yes, 5-6" groups is what I get with the stock irons w/ milsurp. Those groups shrink right up to about 3 or 4" with an optic or red dot. My front band and the stock lockup are all pretty loose, so I'm sure this rifle will shoot much better when finished.. I'll get it there sooner or later, but I have to get the irons sorted first.

I understand the "theory" that the SOCOM sights were meant for close quarters, and thats fine and well.. but honestly, you don't need 7.62 NATO for CQ. For a designated CQ weapon, the SOCOM is a poor, poor choice.

For an all-around rifle that is handy enough to be useful in CQ, AND can shoot a decent 2" @ 100 yds with enough juice to really reach out to 500 or so yards, or penetrate light cover the SOCOM has some potential.. but you have to ditch the sights for that.

Honestly.. 5-6" groups is ridiculous. AKs shoot better than that.. not much better, but better; they are cheaper, lighter, and hold more ammo.

So, on the face of it - unless you are tied to the M14 platform, there are better choices out there. But since you already have other M14 platform guns that you can share mags, tools, and other parts with - like me - the SOCOM starts becoming much more realistic.

You need not fear getting a SOCOM.. just be aware that you will have to put some work into it, and if you're planning on shooting with irons, you'll be disappointed comparative to other M1A's - especially those with NM irons.

If you would want a red dot or something and would use the irons mostly as back up sights, you're really good to go.. just get the stock lockup and gas cylinder tightened up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after reading these responses, i think i will just rebarrel my loaded model. i don't care for the full length size and will be much happier with the 18". i have a nice stainless barrel though and wish i could get cut down, recrowned, and have the splines redone. i dont know if a gunsmith would do this though, so i will probably just have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Get an 18" and sell the 22" to recoup some of the cost. That's what I did with mine, recovered most of the cost of the new barrel so it didn't sting as bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts