M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I had a stupid attack a few months ago, just caught it today. My stupidity left me with a lesson on just how important quality is. I had a maglite with dead cheap lead acid batteries in it for over six months. They were swelled and corroded so bad I had to drill screws into them to pull the first two, I didn't have long enough screws to reach the third. So I had to drive a big screwdriver into it with a 2lb hammer. Put the driver in a vise twist, side tension and kinda thread it out. Sprayed with WD, the brass on the contacts had zero corrosion, the aluminum tube was pretty bad. Cleaned it enough to get the new batteries in. It WORKS, after being soaked in acid for 6 months and beat on with a hammer. It works period.

My second slot in my mag pouch for my carry gun is reserved for a mini-mag lite. Guys I don't work for mag-lite, I just wanted to give something to think about. When laying back kit it is easy to justifying spending the same to buy two chinese made anythings, as it is to buy one top notch. For me I am going to go with what I know will hold. American made too.

Reactions: High Hat

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
do they make any lights that aren't dim?

like a mini-mag that puts out 150-200 lumens would be about right...

I bought a full size maglight at the truck stop last year on a camping trip.... worst flashlight I've bought in a long time. would be great Circa 1991, but its too dim. very tough though.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Had one of those battles a couple months ago with one of my two cell mag lights. In fact, I lost(it got the better part of me...). I've made a note since to monthly visually inspect the batteries.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Yeah, it might be dim, but you can bust it over someone's noggin and Mag-Lite will repair it free of charge.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, they work on windows and skulls, rescue or defense :)
they make LED versions now. they are pretty bright, you can upgrade old ones with a new bulb. like $15

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Flip one of the batteries backwards when storing batteries inside. It will keep it from corroding like that even if it is soaked in water.

The LED bulbs you can get for them work ok. I keep one in my truck as a back up still. And I have a mini-mag in just about all of my packs and use them as back ups.

But I will stick with my Surefires and Streamlights for the most part. But there is a lot to be said for a flashlight that doesn't take "exotic" batteries.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Gentlemen

I have had the same problems with all battery devices using regular batteries.

There is a solution, and Better Way.

It all started when I bought the first SureFire flashlight that takes 2 Lithium 123 batteries, just after they first came out.

Without going into a long drawn out story, here is the "skinny".

Quality 123 Lithium batteries do not "off gas". They do not corrode. They retain 80% of their power for at least 10 years. They hold their power through hot and cold, and are especially good about this in very cold conditions, like 20 to 40 below zero, [personal experience].

This means you can put some flashlights with the 123 batteries next to your bed, in your vehicles, in your pack, attachedto your gun, etc., and even after 10 years they will not be corroded and still have 80% of the power they had on day one.

I have at least 25 flashlights that use from one to six 123 batteries. I have never had a single corrosion incident. I have had many for these for many many years.

I carry a SureFire E1e in my pocket 100% of the time, and when I leave the house, I add a SureFire A2 Aviator. I am still using the first 2 SureFire lights I originally bought, back in the day.

I have some guns with SureFire weapon lights mounted, on ready stand by, that have had the same batteries for at least 7 years, and they still glow in the dark, if you know what I mean.

I have never had anything SureFire fail in any way.

Yes they are a little spendy up front, but they will last for ever.

So, I recommend IF, you want to be able to pick up a flashlight, and have it ALWAYS GLOW IN THE DARK, TEN years from today, get a SureFire, or some other good quality flashlight that takes 123 Lithium batteries.

Now do not complain that you cannot find them at the local convience store. Just buy a hundred of them. And when yo get down to only 50 left, buy a hundred more.
They last over 10 years...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That is what I do too. I will say however with the mini surefire lights (Like the Z2 which I have a few of) get the LED bulb, the standard bulbs and especially the higher output bulbs go out FAST. Especially when weapon mounted.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,823 Posts
Have any of ever thought about what a good tube for a suppressor for a .22lr a D-cell mag light would make?

Mag-lites are pretty good if you take care of them and only use high quality batteries, do not store them standing up on the lens end so if the batteries take a crap it wont foul the switch and reflector. I made brackets to hang them in next to most of my doors, I also made the same basic bracket to hang a baseball bat...

I also found a sight that sells repair parts for mag lights and there are a couple of videos on you tube that show how to take the switch out of a mag light...
http://www.zbattery.com/Flashlights/Parts

Casey

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
do they make any lights that aren't dim?like a mini-mag that puts out 150-200 lumens would be about right...I bought a full size maglight at the truck stop last year on a camping trip.... worst flashlight I've bought in a long time. would be great Circa 1991, but its too dim. very tough though.
I've found the LED mini maglites to be very bright. The 3 D cell models are fantastic! I can light up a coyote literally 50 yards away and I mean really light him up.

Surefires and Streamlights are good flash lights. But I've used Maglites for over 30 years. I don't see myself switching now.

Reactions: 1100 tac

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Guy's I had a stupid attack a few months ago, just caught it today. My stupidity left me with a lesson on just how important quality is. I had a maglite with dead cheap lead acid batteries in it for over six months. They were swelled and corroded so bad I had to drill screws into them to pull the first two, I didn't have long enough screws to reach the third. So I had to drive a big screwdriver into it with a 2lb hammer. Put the driver in a vise twist, side tension and kinda thread it out. Sprayed with WD, the brass on the contacts had zero corrosion, the aluminum tube was pretty bad. Cleaned it enough to get the new batteries in. It WORKS, after being soaked in acid for 6 months and beat on with a hammer. It works period.

My second slot in my mag pouch for my carry gun is reserved for a mini-mag lite. Guys I don't work for mag-lite, I just wanted to give something to think about. When laying back kit it is easy to justifying spending the same to buy two chinese made anythings, as it is to buy one top notch. For me I am going to go with what I know will hold. American made too.
Doobydoo, next time do it the easy way. Contact Energizer or Duracell and tell them the product that was damaged by their battery. Energizer sent me a $58 check plus $10 bucks of battery coupons. They may require you to send the product in. This way you get a brand new Mag Lite!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've seen the light also & am converting over to the CR123 powered Surefires & Streamlights. I still have a couple AA powered Maglights hanging around that haven't corroded up . . . yet.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The LED MagLights are the way to go if you've got that brand but basically it's as has been said: a 1990's light. Streamlight or Surefire CR123 LED lights just put the others to shame with Streamlight knocking Surefire out of the running by price alone.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
A 3D or 4D Maglite carried in the car can be an aid, a friend, and at the very least a comfort if you break down or run out of gas in lonely isolated places. I know this because I ve run out of gas an embarrassing number of times- I once had a habit of challenging myself to make it to the cheapest gas stations. It made road trips more interesting, but often longer RNGR2 . Anyway there were a couple of times when dubious types slowed down to scope me out in the dark but a glimpse of the 4D Mag would cause them to hit the gas again. Better than a gun I think, I mean up to the point where you would actually need a gun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gentlemen thanks for all the imput, gave me something to think about. I just wanted to clarify to a couple post it wasn't the maglight that went bad, it was the dollar store lead acid batteries I foolishly bought. I don't think akaline energiser or duracell would have had a problem. It was lens down, ate out the reflector, but they definately have their mix right on the brass contacts cause they still shine like brand new, even with the aluminum tube having blue fuzz all over it, :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts