M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the heat transfer off a Scout mount such as the Springfield model damage optics (red dots & scopes)?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I had the same question and contacted Aimpoint by email. I received a reply stating that Aimpoints held up to the heat from Springfield Scout Squads, however, if I still had concerns I should use an Ultimak mount as they disperse heat over a wider area

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Will the heat transfer off a Scout mount such as the Springfield model damage optics (red dots & scopes)?...
I raised that question with JPoint regarding their little red dot sight, and was told it probably wouldn't be a good idea to mount one of their plastic sights that way. The barrel can get awfully hot and the SAI Scout mount is an excellent heat sink.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You won't hurt an Aimpoint, they're built like tanks. It might cause problems with a lesser red dot sight however.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not likely for a a well made optic. Most are rated temperature-wise. BUT creating a significant heat differential between the rifle and the rings, through the mount can cause your zero to wander. So if your plan is to go "all ballistic" at the range and get the rifle smokin' hot, then you could have some accuracy issues..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts