M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I've been shooting Lithoanian surplus with the headstamp GGG 04
When I resize the brass and check it with the case headspace gauge they never get better than flush with the high step no matter how far I screw the die down. I've done two hundred cases and at least they are all uniformly flush!
Before resizing, the heads do protrude from the gauge about an eighth inch so the die is doing it's job.
My setup is a Dillon 550B and brand new Dillon carbide dies.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Dan

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Dan,
I use a different sizing die and press(single stage) than you, but let me give you my thoughts on Lithuanian brass. I have been using once fired "04" GGG brass for a little while. GGG brass is about the hardest brass around. I have the Redding Type-S bushing dies with nitride bushings. I use Redding Imperial dry neck lube and Imperial sizing die wax. I find that to get proper headspace I need to double press this brass. I do this by pressing the first time and decapping. Then release the press enough to rotate the case 180 degrees without engaging the sizing ball and press again. That way your not over working the neck. There are times that I have to do this process twice.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I assume you are shooting this ammo in an M1A? If yes, I suggest you have the headspace checked to see what it is in your rifle, have your case gage checked at the same time to see if your case gauge matches your chamber, if it does than you are golden, if it doesn't, when I do a build I cut an aluminum bar stock using a chamber reamer, I size it to match the chamber using the same headspace gauges. I tell the owner to check all loaded rounds through the gauge, if it fits shoot it, if it doesn't don't. If you are sizing your brass with the carbide dies and you can't get enough sizing try lube, it will make a difference on how far back it pushes the shoulder and the body diameter.

Jim

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Have you shot any reloads with this brass? Are they chambering without any problems? Usually making the case shorter than yours is right now is just overworking the brass. A shorter case will also go through more stretching when fired which just hurries the time when you start getting case head separation.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Dan, you didn't say if the Dillion sizing Die is SB, or not. I use GGG brass also, and size with a RCBS SB X-die. I don't have to size twice, and my brass is flush w/the bottom step of a Wilson case gage. Use the Imperial wax and neck dry lube as above. My HS is 1.632, so I do want to be near the lower step. dozier

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey all,
Many thanks for the help!
I use the Hornady one shot lube and I lubed the brass more than I usually do and it did the trick! Duh
This brass was only from the original shooting of the ammo. The first time reloading GGG 04.
I do have to press a few twice but they all show good in the case headspace gauge on both steps.
Many thanks to you all. Gotta love this forum! :)
Dan

·
Registered
975 Posts
Dan, you didn't say if the Dillion sizing Die is SB, or not. I use GGG brass also, and size with a RCBS SB X-die. I don't have to size twice, and my brass is flush w/the bottom step of a Wilson case gage. Use the Imperial wax and neck dry lube as above. My HS is 1.632, so I do want to be near the lower step. dozier
Dillon told me that all of their 308 Winchester dies are small base dies. That's all they make.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No expert here. But after you send a clean case through resize/ popin primer out, do you check over all case length and trim your stretched cases?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.