M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my new Armscorp receiver and my GI barrell to my smith to get it installed and have the headspace checked. Well he installed the barrell and she swallows the .308 field gauge big time. Maybe by .020 thousandths. He thinks it may be the barrell. The barrell shows some use but not much. I think it may be the receiver but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Should I call Armscorp or talk to the guy I bought the barrell from. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Wish I had some words of wisdom for ya diesel but unfortunately I'm not into the spec stuff although I should be.

I'm sure someone will come round with some positive input for ya here if you'll hang in there a bit ... :wink:

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
it's quite possible that the barrel needs to be fitted more (more metal removed from the shoulder to get another rotation on the barrel. I know that this had to be done to my Armscorps. HTH Hawk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hawk, I've heard, turning the barrell will mess up the relation of the gas system to the rest of the rifle. Well apparently you had it done to yours. Have you experienced any problems? Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I can't see how it could hurt if it's turned a full 360 degree rotation. This will only change the headspacing.As far as I know. I know there are those out there that are mor knowlegable than I. Hawk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I talked to my smith yesterday and he's gonna send the receiver back and we'll try another one. If we get the same results He'll go ahead and turn the barrell. We both came to the conclusion it can't be the barrell because it's in such good condition. I'll give a report when the new receiver arrives. thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the saga continues. I went ahead and called Armscorp myself before we sent the receiver back to them. I talked to the head smith there and he said to go ahead and leave the barrell on it and they would make it right. I also had some issues with some casting marks on the outside of the receiver. Told him about it and he said if I didn't like it they would switch out the receiver and install my barrell and headspace it for free! But I have to pay return shipping. Pretty good deal and great customer service. I'll update when I get her back. Later guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well since I posted last Armscorp said my barrell was junk. But the headsmith there said they could cut me a deal and install one of their GI barrells for the low price of 340 dollars! And that's 250 for the barrell and 70 to install it. And my response was, excuse me! for that price I could buy a heavyweight national match! So I said no thank you and began searching for a barrell. Called Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises he said he had some nice barrells for 150. After talking to him for awhile I decided to have the receiver and barrell shipped back to me. And Armscorp did switch out the receiver because of some issues with bad casting marks on the outside of the receiver. So got the stuff back. Packed up my receiver and kit and sent it to Ron for a complete build. He called me about 5 days after he got it and explained that the barrell did have long headspace but he could swap me for another one. He said he could use mine on the Chinese receivers because they work good on barrells with long headspace. So I went ahead and I'm gonna have him do a trigger job, install his NM gas cylinder lock and install a different barrell. Also he said he had to do some machining on the receiver to bring it up to specs and to clean up the rough spots. Should have her back to me by late this week or early next week! :D God, I can't wait. This is my first M-14 and this saga has been goin' on since late September. I'll post some pics when I get her back. Thanks guys. Oh and Hawk I did order one of your econo dummy kits to round out everything! :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dieselmech,

You'll be very happy with Ron's work. I had him rebuild a N.M. a few months ago and it runs fine. He even took it to the range did the break-in and sighted it at 200 yds.

Maze

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
DieselMech:

Sounds like you have light at the end of this long tunnel. Glad to hear that things are progressing for you. GREAT!

Also, sounds like the add ons will TOP FLIGHT and ready to go!

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts