M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful morning for some range time. The dog and I have already been out to the 100 yd stantion and hung some fresh SR-1s. Have to admit I will be shooting weenie snowflake style today off my three legged portable bench. Left arm is still not strong enough for positions but it's getting there slowly.

1st sgt heel.jpg
1st sgt left side.jpg
1st sgt right side close up.jpg
Range 50' to 150 yds..jpg
Range 100 yds and 150 yds..jpg

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Man you really have it going on Art. Great setup!!
Have to ask, do your neighbors ever complain or are you that secluded? Tis my dream to be able to walk out the back door to a private range..
Hey,, just noticed.. I thought the 1st Sgt was one of your Winnys??

·
Registered
488 Posts
nf1e, pretty sure I love the rifle and the range. Glad you're getting the 1st Sgt out. I think you've said that it's one of your favs of how many now, 52 or 54-ish? Shoot and enjoy the day.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Man you really have it going on Art. Great setup!!
Have to ask, do your neighbors ever complain or are you that secluded? Tis my dream to be able to walk out the back door to a private range..
Hey,, just noticed.. I thought the 1st Sgt was one of your Winnys??
No problem with neighbors. I do run suppressed rifles during the busiest tourist season on the lake. Hate it when nosey city whelps come around to see what's going on.
1st sgt was originally an LRB receiver with all Winchester parts. She was reconfigured with all TRW and a Kreiger heavy ss 1-10 during my Winter play time.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
nf1e, pretty sure I love the rifle and the range. Glad you're getting the 1st Sgt out. I think you've said that it's one of your favs of how many now, 52 or 54-ish? Shoot and enjoy the day.
Up to 54 M14s in the herd currently. I think the plateau has been reached and it's now time to spend more time shooting and loading. Whatta Hobby!
The herd 2020 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could almost consider this many an obsession------almost

John
I was kinda thinking along those lines myself. I should perhaps pay a little more attention to my other types of rifles. This is the M14 forum after all so that what we talk about most.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Art you weenie, walk off the shoulder problem, eat some good ol' C rats, and you'll be back I shape in no time...yeah, right.

The one thing I hate about getting up in years is that we still have the desire but not the body.

Great looking rifle, I've never had your enthusiasm to do builds but it's obvious that you've become very skilled at it.

Reactions: hytekrednek

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Oh, by the way, I've switched to using horse stall mats for backer boards on my range. They last for ever, you don't get plywood chunks all over, and you still use a stapler to attach your targets to them.

Reactions: nf1e

·
NSR
1,456 Posts
Art,

When my last build gets done this year I'll be up to nine '14's. Think I'll go into the holding pattern at that point...

Nice collection and a wonderful range out back. What could be better?

Wes

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Art you weenie, walk off the shoulder problem, eat some good ol' C rats, and you'll be back I shape in no time...yeah, right.

The one thing I hate about getting up in years is that we still have the desire but not the body.

Great looking rifle, I've never had your enthusiasm to do builds but it's obvious that you've become very skilled at it.
Weenie I be. I will eventually shoot positions again. Not worth much, but better than the bench snowflakes with their all day long tack drivers. You know the ones with one box of really good bullets that shoot bottle caps at 300 yds all day long with iron sights.

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Art,

When my last build gets done this year I'll be up to nine '14's. Think I'll go into the holding pattern at that point...

Nice collection and a wonderful range out back. What could be better?

Wes
I am quite contented. Don't need any more that the 300 yds for practical shooting anyway.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Super great collection of my favorite rifles, congratulations and thanks very much for the photos!.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
For anyone looking for target backer boards try coraplast, it's corrugated plastic, available in different thickness and lasts longer than cardboard or plywood. My local range was using 1/4" plywood and was replacing every 2-3 days, with coraplast it went to every 2-3 weeks.

John

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Art was a bad influence on getting me to sell off everything and standorise on one weapon system. Looking back on it i am glad i did.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

I am only in my 40's, but I know what you speak of. EVERY time I ride by the baseball park, I want to stop, get out, and play ball with the younger generations. I loved that game. The best I can do is take a few of them out shooting and attempt to show them up. I am proud when some young kid learns enough to out shoot me. If I shoot better, I win. If they shoot better, it is because they learned from me. Win/Win!! It really is fun teaching someone new to firearms to shoot accurately.

Nice herd Art. Going a different direction... which rifle is your least accurate and least favorite? Not easy to answer for myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts