M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having my gun rights restored... I have contacted a few lawyers about this and have gotten mixed feedback. A few lawyers that specialize in this have made it sound like I would be approved. I live in Minnesota and have two domestics that are over 10 years old

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
Get a lawyer. A good lawyer. One who specializes in expungement cases. Preferably one the judge plays golf with.

Don't try to do it yourself. Judges don't like people wasting their time. They want to see familiar faces in the courtroom that get things done efficiently.

Charges are obviously easier to get expunged than convictions. A lot depends on the degree.

You need to have been a model citizen since the incidents. I mean like up for the citizen of the year award. Family, community, business, everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much for the advice. I do know who I will contact to help resolve this. I’d like to shoot with buddies and occasionally hunt. I should have good odds but yes, time to get this taken care of!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Might be cheaper to move than to jump through them hoops. Not that I advocate the "Hit Then Run". Also might wanna pick up the muzzle loader if you wanna "occasionally hunt".

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s my understanding that you will have to file all of the requests and motions with the original court(s) that the convictions occurred in. Two different courts would mean two different filings. This at times can be difficult especially if you’ve moved to another state trying to find an attorney willing to work with you long distance. I knew of one person who had his record sealed after going through all of the paperwork submissions only to learn like ten years later that some of the paperwork never made it to where it was supposed to go from the local clerk of courts office to the state and feds. He was denied during the NICS check which alerted him to the problem. Fortunately for him, the attorney that handled the paperwork was still alive, still local and still practicing law and saw to it that the courts mistake was finally corrected.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I have a female friend who managed to get her gun and voting rights back.
She committed a felony in Ohio when she was 20 or so.
Stayed out of trouble for 35 years then filed to get her record expunged while here in Texas.
She had to go back to Ohio for a court appearence where the court honored her request.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good luck man. How we have allowed our society to get to the point of having an underclass of semi-free people walking among us I will never understand. Makes my blood boil. These self-evident truths are supposed to be pretty cut and dry. Dickering for rights is something you do with the king's counselors. No man is above any other. Every Free American is equal in status and franchise to any other. These hierarchies are the invasive forces of laissez-faire fascism. They are the easier and default methodology for people saddled with the mantle of beaurocracy. The hard work is maintaining egalitarian modes of governance. Humans seems incapable of stepping into that role without losing patience and becoming the million toes of tyranny. Each pressing the weight of their responsibility down upon the backs of their neighbors and peers. Americans are supposed to be better than that precisely because we have that power of self-governance from birth. The felony class is fundamentally a thing made from the pocket lints of fearful men. We are always supposed to show that we are unafraid. We are supposed to do the hard things.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A friend went through all the hoops for "forgiveness" of state charges after approximately 15 years, and was successful, only to find that it didn't make any difference as far as federal authorities are concerned. Seems like there is a Catch-22 here that only a presidential pardon can fix. But by all means go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts