M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a debate with my friend about 7.62 x 51 being able to penetrate bullet proof( resistant) glass! Remembered a video where they had compared 50 cal rifle blasting a huge hole in bp and 308 making a smaller hole but penetrated bp. My friend thinks I'm making it up was wondering if anyone had answers . It's for a steak dinner for me and I'm very hungry!!!! Tanks again fellows

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not totally empirical, but maybe it will help you win your bet:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCZvOHd5dg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3xl813124[/ame]

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a fair amount of experience with Bullet Resistant "Glass", which can be glass, or some other chemical product such as "plexiglass", or "Lexan", etc...

I have shot some Lexan, rated as "NATO Lexan" that M80 ball would not shoot through at point blank range, individual rounds. You can penetrate it with repeated hits in the same location..

Technically it is a matter of money, thickness, weight, and how much you need to look through it with what level of distortion...

Since Lexan is a "plastic" sometimes for some applications they put some kile of glass on both sides, so it can be cleaned, and not scratched over a long service life.

Most "Bullet Proof" glass in normal usage, banks, armoured cars, etc can be shot through with a 308.

Even with "Nato Lexan" you can "chew" through it with a 223 if you shoot enough bullets in the same place...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Also Lexan has a very good safety feature.
Say you are in a bank. With normal "bullet proof glass" if a bank robber shoots the glass there is a large amount of glass and bullet back splatter, that can injure bank patrons, and the robber as well.

With "bullet proof" plexiglass, the bullet will be bounced back into the direction/area of the shooter, again possible injuring customers, or the robber.

However Lexan will "capture" the bullet, up to its rating level there is no penetration of individual rounds or even a few rounds hitting close together, making it safe for people on both sides of the firing gun...

It comes in several different rating levels.

·
Registered
414 Posts
isnt some BP glass layered?.....nm a google search found these images

and i have also seen .308 penetrate bp glass, althought the glass did demonstrate the fragmenting effect injuring the test watermelons behind it LOL.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The company I retired from built and installed teller lines in banks, we built the "BR" glass and the "BR" counters and doors. They used "BR" bullet resisant glass and not bullet proof glass. Big differance, need and COST! As a rule most bank robberies are not heldup using .30/.50 rifles, so the cost does not warrent going to "BP" glass. So most handgun or small cal. won't go through the glass, counter or door all of which are made of "BR" material.
Now highend "BP" glass stopping almost anything would be obamas limo and box he stands in in public. Now that is bullet PROOF

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bullet proof glass would resist a hardened steel core penetrator bullet from a 7.62 x 51?

I know those guys from that bank robbery in California used AK-47's with steel core bullets & tore alot of things up. With the video from the helecopter you can ses them firing thru cars & trucks bodies as well as the regular glass.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bullet proof glass would resist a hardened steel core penetrator bullet from a 7.62 x 51?

I know those guys from that bank robbery in California used AK-47's with steel core bullets & tore alot of things up. With the video from the helecopter you can ses them firing thru cars & trucks bodies as well as the regular glass.
[youtube]zm1PEY8F4xE[/youtube]

[youtube]ASdauLWH9SQ[/youtube]

[youtube]N9SWG1f--GY[/youtube]

[youtube]j7X3pRkRfTg[/youtube]​

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
I've actually shot BP glass first-hand with both .308 and 5.56. The particular glass I shot too MANY rounds to finally disable it. (>50 rounds)

The glass eventually gave up the ghost, but it definitely didn't give up without a fight.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Don't confuse "steel core" with "armor piercing", as they are often two different types of bullet, entirely. Even some soft point "hunting" rounds will go through a "bullet proof" vest, when fired from a high power (or even intermediate power, like the AK) rifle. If you watch some of the documentaries on that robbery, some of the "experts" interviewed will have you believe that the bullets used were "designed to go through tanks". Pure, anti-gun B.S.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Not to mention that just about any rifle round will go through auto glass and auto bodies/doors/etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You and your friend really have to specify what sort of BR glass you're talking about. I presumed you meant the stuff used in vehicles, in war zones.

As far as that stuff, which is about an inch thick. I've it with .308. Also with 7.62x39, 7.62x54 armor piercing, 5.56.

And no, none of it will penetrate--you need multiple hits really right in the same place, sometimes 3 or 4. Of course 10 hits in a slightly larger area will do the job just as well.

This is the stuff used in humvees and uparmored suburbans in the sandbox. Ie where a 7.62 threat is expected. Not the same stuff in liqour store windows.

Even 9mm will go through both doors of a car or both sides of a trunk. Auto Sheet metal is concealment, not cover. Only the stuff around the engine block will stop bullets for a long time (not just the block, but all the components, alternator, AC compressor, braided hoses, etc. That is the only place remotely safe behind any vehicle. Everything else will just expand the bullet nicely before it enters your body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.