M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about mini 14s lately, I think it's a pretty cool idea, and I almost want one. The problem is, I have no use for the 5.56/.223 round. Anything a .22LR can't handle gets bumped up to .308 or higher, by my personal standards. I'm not here to debate that idea.

I was wondering what you guys think about the idea of owning a 5.56 (the mini 14 being my personal preference) in preparation for a long-term, hardcore SHTF type scenario, for the sole purpose of having a weapon that will accept any 5.56 ammo one may stumble upon. I wouldn't want to stock up on 5.56 because of my personal preferences, but if I owned one I'd buy enough ammo to test it out, tune it up, and gain reasonable proficiency with the weapon by practicing now and again. If things went sour enough, I think it could be worth it given how much of the ammo out there will be .223 ammo. If I were ever dry on .308, I'd rather have the potential option of the .223 as a defense rifle than just the .22LR.

As a note, this is pretty low on my "Firearms Acquisition Priority List (FAPL GI7)", so I won't be buying one for some time regardless.

Disclaimer: This thread is not posted to debate the likelihood of such a SHTF scenario, or to debate the 5.56 vs the 7.62, or to debate the merits of the AR design vs. the M1/M14 style design.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
After reading about mini 14s lately, I think it's a pretty cool idea, and I almost want one. The problem is, I have no use for the 5.56/.223 round. Anything a .22LR can't handle gets bumped up to .308 or higher, by my personal standards. I'm not here to debate that idea.

I was wondering what you guys think about the idea of owning a 5.56 (the mini 14 being my personal preference) in preparation for a long-term, hardcore SHTF type scenario, for the sole purpose of having a weapon that will accept any 5.56 ammo one may stumble upon. I wouldn't want to stock up on 5.56 because of my personal preferences, but if I owned one I'd buy enough ammo to test it out, tune it up, and gain reasonable proficiency with the weapon by practicing now and again. If things went sour enough, I think it could be worth it given how much of the ammo out there will be .223 ammo. If I were ever dry on .308, I'd rather have the potential option of the .223 as a defense rifle than just the .22LR.

As a note, this is pretty low on my "Firearms Acquisition Priority List (FAPL GI7)", so I won't be buying one for some time regardless.Disclaimer: This thread is not posted to debate the likelihood of such a SHTF scenario, or to debate the 5.56 vs the 7.62, or to debate the merits of the AR design vs. the M1/M14 style design.
Perhaps a better term would be: "Firearms Acquisition Priority PLAN"?

Then it would be abundantly clear when you are 'FAPP-ING' !!!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
235 Posts
No use for the .223 round

Well if you don't appreciate the merits of the .223 round then that explains why you don't have a rifle in that caliber already. Perhaps you should just stick with what works for you. Nothing wrong with being economical with ammo types and why have a gun that doesn't appeal to you? I am passionate about every gun I own. If not, I sell it!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
before the flames
I actually like the Mini 14. I had two of the old roller bolt (180 series). I still have one of them. They are not sub MOA, but the reliability is much better than an AR. Folks will overlook this with an AK, but vehemently dis the Mini.
go figure

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have had both a 181 series Mini-14 and several early '90s AR platforms for many years.

Personally I've never had a FTF or parts malfunction on either. If the a SHTF scenario that required my use of the 5.56..I'd grab a tried and trusted AR platform and would give the wife the Mini. The familiarity with the platform and ergonomic of each particular weapon fit our shooting styles the best.

I'm not as impressed with the overall accuracy of the normal "out of the box" Mini using any military grade/surplus ammo but...it does feed anything I've ever thrown at it. They will definitely get the barrel smokin'!

Get whatever fits your style and familiarity of operation the best but...because you're right about ammo availablity...I definitely have a (or several) 5.56 (over strictly .223) weapons in my gun safe.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm reminded of the line off of 'We Were Soldiers', that goes something like, "If the time comes I need a M16, there'll be plenty on the ground." :)

The reason I've considered getting a.233 of some sort is for my wife, but only for during a major SHTF.

Reactions: LausDeo

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if you don't appreciate the merits of the .223 round then that explains why you don't have a rifle in that caliber already. Perhaps you should just stick with what works for you. Nothing wrong with being economical with ammo types and why have a gun that doesn't appeal to you? I am passionate about every gun I own. If not, I sell it!
Too right. I think the gun itself seems pretty damn cool, but then I get to the part where I remember it fires 5.56 :p. I'm just wondering if because of the abundance of 5.56 ammo that it'd be worth having in case of a patch of light on a very dark day.

I'm reminded of the line off of 'We Were Soldiers', that goes something like, "If the time comes I need a M16, there'll be plenty on the ground." :)
Won't say that didn't cross my mind GI6

·
Registered
320 Posts
Too right. I think the gun itself seems pretty damn cool, but then I get to the part where I remember it fires 5.56 :p. I'm just wondering if because of the abundance of 5.56 ammo that it'd be worth having in case of a patch of light on a very dark day.

Won't say that didn't cross my mind GI6

I think in the scerario projected in the OP... a 5.56 round would be found in more abundance that just about any other current military rifle round in this country.

For close up work...the 5.56 is not a bad round IMO.

Just my .02

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is an idea and i think i might be doing it as well. I dont like the 5.56/.223 and neither do you (i guess), so get a mini 30 in 7.62x39 whats not to like (cheap ammo, has a nock down punch like a .45, and can be scavenged from any store if the SHTF).

Theres the solution dont get a mini 14 just get a mini 30. Its just as reliable as an AK but with the look of an M14, in other words its perfect.

Good Shooting.

TXS

Reactions: LausDeo

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd personally stick with a good AR. I was never a fan of the Mini-14 or 30. I know from personal experience at our local PD match's, I can constantly out shoot a mini-14. However I've never shot one for evaluation sake. It could just be that the guy running the '14 didn't have his drivers license yet GI1

I did talk to one of the guys after the match. He had a mid 80's run that has a big issue with wondering zero. It may be due to the bolt slamming against the receiver, or the pencil thing barrel.

On the flip side if you've ever watched Nutn'fancy's videos on Youtube, he's a HUGE mini-14 love. He seems to do very well with the platform.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
There was a story going around on the net (yeah, I know), about a small boat that circumstance demanded that they dock in a very gun hostile Latin county. They would have to jettison a Mini 14 and a couple of cases of ammo. So for s#!+s & grins, they tried to kill the Mini. They repeatedly got the barrel red hot and dipped it in seawater. They expended all the ammo on board. The Mini 14 was purportedly still running when they deep sixed it.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
ryoung: I'm reminded of the line off of 'We Were Soldiers', that goes something like, "If the time comes I need a M16, there'll be plenty on the ground." :)
To be fair, though...Sergeant Major Basil Plumley(played by Sam Elliot in the movie)was Not Carrying ANY Rifle!
He coulda carried a BAR if he wanted to---No one would have dared tell him not to! GI2 But, He Only Carried A 1911 .45 on his hip! So, It's really not a fair comparison...

IMHO

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
846 Posts
The .223 is a great an underrated round. In the AR platform and bolt guns, it is very accurate and can be used for defense as well as on game. If you are thinking about one, get it while you can. There will always be someone willing to take it off your hands if you should decide that it isn't for you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There was a story going around on the net (yeah, I know), about a small boat that circumstance demanded that they dock in a very gun hostile Latin county. They would have to jettison a Mini 14 and a couple of cases of ammo. So for s#!+s & grins, they tried to kill the Mini. They repeatedly got the barrel red hot and dipped it in seawater. They expended all the ammo on board. The Mini 14 was purportedly still running when they deep sixed it.
I could believe that my oldest mini with the pencil thin barrel has gotten so hot that it will start fires when layed on the ground. GI1

All jokes aside the mini is one of those rifles that just dosent stop working when its hot, unless maybe you through it into a valcano. DI2

I wish they would have sold that mini to me, i could use another one.

Good Shooting.

TXS

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd personally stick with a good AR. I was never a fan of the Mini-14 or 30. I know from personal experience at our local PD match's, I can constantly out shoot a mini-14. However I've never shot one for evaluation sake. It could just be that the guy running the '14 didn't have his drivers license yet GI1

I did talk to one of the guys after the match. He had a mid 80's run that has a big issue with wondering zero. It may be due to the bolt slamming against the receiver, or the pencil thing barrel.

On the flip side if you've ever watched Nutn'fancy's videos on Youtube, he's a HUGE mini-14 love. He seems to do very well with the platform.
The barrels and a market over expectation of the originally designed platform were indeed issues with the reported accuracy problems regarding follow up shots the Mini experienced for many years. They were notorious for 2-3 maybe 4 good shots and then...shots would often wander as the barrel heated up. A 3-4 inch fliers was not uncommon at any point during extended fire. Thicker barrels and after market length reduction, crowning and cryo treating of barrels by smiths that specialize in Minis have helped considerably with the notorious "flier" issues.

·
Registered
320 Posts
LausDeo...go over to www.perfectunion.com/ they have one of the better and informative Mini forums I have seen.

Check them out...they have rabid fans with loads of experience over there. If you really want a real live SHTF scenario...put on your body armor and flame suit and start a thread comapring the pros and cons of Minis and ARs. It gets really harry real, real quick...BGRIN1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Love a Minni 14 for what it is 2 to 3 moa rifle. With a few upgrades a 1 1/2 to 2 moa rifle. With a strut and a muzzle brake it looks like ..well a M 1A that went through a dryer. Essentially the same manual of arms as any other Garand action rifle. Tough and realible. What is not to like. After all we all enjoy our M 14 clones.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.