M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a possible chance to buy one of two rifles: both Springfield Armory - one SAR-8 (Greek), and one SAR-4800. Now I have a 4800 in 21", and would like to have an 18" version as well, which is what this one is. But I don't have a G3 type represented in my stash, and have had an itch for one of those too. The HK clone will be harder and more expensive to rid itself of that hideous thumbhole stock, the FN clone is easy and a bit cheaper. They are nearly within $100 of each other (-8 is more expensive). Can't afford both - which rifle sounds like the one I should try for?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Is this a trick question?

I had an SAR 48 Bush and loved it. At the same time I had a Belgian FAL and a Belgian Para, but the SAR 48 got the most range time.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this a trick question?

I had an SAR 48 Bush and loved it. At the same time I had a Belgian FAL and a Belgian Para, but the SAR 48 got the most range time.
LOL - no; I just don't have a G3-type, and have kind of had an itch for one. I see mixed opinions in regard to that design, and I'm very partial to the FAL, so I might just let the G3 thing go. So far it hasn't worked out on the 18" SAR-4800, but I'll keep an eye out for another one.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
LOL - no; I just don't have a G3-type, and have kind of had an itch for one. I see mixed opinions in regard to that design, and I'm very partial to the FAL, so I might just let the G3 thing go. So far it hasn't worked out on the 18" SAR-4800, but I'll keep an eye out for another one.
G3's are uber reliable and have a passionate following. But they never really fit me well, and I never warmed up to them. I've owned a few HK91's and my shooting partner had an SAR8. He sold it and bought an Armscorp M14 in 1993. Still has that Armscorp.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sounds like strictly a matter of your personal preferences. Like you, I have, and love, my FALs (one of which is an SAR-48) and having a short barreled one would be sweet. My opinion is that if you have a hankering for the G3 clone then go for it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Personally I would go with the Fal, but I am biased, it was my service rifle after all. Shot a G3 in Rhodesia in 1977, and I thought it was the biggest piece of junk ever designed. I do like the HK93's though, but the G3/HK91 just never "talked" to me.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Personally I would go with the Fal, but I am biased, it was my service rifle after all. Shot a G3 in Rhodesia in 1977, and I thought it was the biggest piece of junk ever designed. I do like the HK93's though, but the G3/HK91 just never "talked" to me.
I guess I can stop sugar coating my replies. GI6

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Absolutely the FN. Much better rifle.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've shot many a round through 91s and the -8 EBO Greecian Formula HKs. The EBO rifle, in my opinion has a better finish than the original and is an excellent shooter.

I've also owned an SAR48, the predessor of the 4800 and it was good as well. Unlike the above posters, the G3/91/-8 platform speaks fluently to me, and it was the first rifle I ever shot in 3 gun competition. It is a beautiful concept, reliable in horrid conditions, and puts really cool stripes on your spent brass at no charge.

I would buy the EBO rifle in a heartbeat and never look back if you already have a FAL type rifle. Way cool.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i'd give the SAR-8 a try. you should own one of these in order to give the platform a fair shake. the G3 platform does take more training to get accustomed to, the ergonomics are not intuitive and at first it does feel very unwieldy.

that said, if you dedicate some time to training with it, in the manual of arms for this rifle, you certainly can get very fast with it.

personally, my FAL's just don't deliver adequate accuracy to keep my interest. after the M14 platform, the G3 platform is my second choice, and a lot of it has to do with the relative accuracy my rifles achieve. the FAL is my third choice of semi-auto rifles. this is not an assessment of the relative merits of these three weapons systems, it's just my opinion of what i like.

you should take the time to form your own opinion.

the only way to do that, is to own a G3 clone. if you don't like it, you should have No Problem getting your money out of it. the Greek clones are very well regarded and in good demand by HK aficionados. shoot it with the thumbhole stock, and see if you like it before you spend the $$ on 922 compliance parts. or, go ahead with the compliance parts. either way, you should be able to get your money out of it if you don't like it.

...and you may just find that you do!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks guys; you sure aren't making it easier! For whatever reason, I've had an itch for a 91/G3 type rifle for a while now, though I'm pretty much sold on FALs. I've had an itch for an 18" FAL too. The FN design is much easier to take down and clean as well as work on, plus I have a couple dozen mags to boot. But the G3 mags are pretty cheap, though..... Are the stamped steel receivers as fragile as some say they are? Supposedly in any "real" situation they dent easily and screw up the works. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Dented receivers?

You asked, here's my opinion. Buy what you like or have an itch for.... Thirty years from now you'll be glad you did. I own both. I wouldn't sell or trade either of them. I wouldn't worry too much about a dented receiver either, sounds like armchair commando advise to me. GI6GI6

HonerBRSTBOMB

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You asked, here's my opinion. Buy what you like or have an itch for.... Thirty years from now you'll be glad you did. I own both. I wouldn't sell or trade either of them. I wouldn't worry too much about a dented receiver either, sounds like armchair commando advise to me. GI6GI6

HonerBRSTBOMB
I agree. While I personally don't care for the HK91, I beat the snot out of a couple and never did any damage. They are uber durable and reliable.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
CETME,G3, HK51, HK53, AK47, HKMp5, FNC upper, SIG 500 series uppers, Beretta AR70 upper, Armalite (the original)...All are "sheet metal" and top notch, not fragile, and world class. I know there are many more examples. Whom ever disseminated this info to you is full of it.

On the same note the FAL was designed for a lighter round and is at it's limits with the 308, and the Israelis dumped them because they can't take the sand...That being said I'd jump all over one given the opportunity, they are good stuff.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK - looks like the FAL is out of the running (price is way higher than I thought), and the HK91/G3 idea is kind of growing on me. My new question: the rifle has had very few rounds through it, yet the owner says the bolt gap is .008"; should I be concerned by that (go range is .004"-.020") since it is on the lower end of acceptable? I can add +-sized rollers to bring the gap up a little, but would this rifle have a short life span because of the gap? Outside of that concern, I'd probably already have it on the way.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
cj...

Once upon a time I had a SA FN, and a Belgian FN Para Fal.
Both rifles were equal in accuracy. I prefered the Para Fal, as it was a little shorter and had the folding stock, but the SA FN was a great rifle...

However I much prefer the H&K 91 over the FN FAL.
I have been using a H&K since 1977.

The Greek H&K's I have shot have been good.

People seem to either love or hate the H&K rifles.

ME I LOVE them. The M14 is a close second choice, the FN FAL my third. All 3 are great rifles.

PS, I have shot all 3 types a BUNCH. DI5

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would not worry about the bolt gap.
If/when you get the rifle, if it functions 100%, then do not worry about it.

Myself and some of my buddies, have THOUSANDS of rounds through individual H&K 91's, we have NEVER replaced a part.

·
Registered
681 Posts
C91

I carried a G3 in South America for awhile. I really liked it after I got use to it. I liked My C91 untill it started giving Me problems. I would buy another HK or clone if I had the chance and the money. Good rifles, accurate, and reliable as hell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts