M14 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
It does not take much searching on Youtube to find videos showing that the M1A/M14 is a poor performer. And expensive to boot. Some of the reviewers caveat in their videos that maybe they are using faulty techniques. I think the guys at Pew Pew Tactical said they sent their rifle into Springfield detailing their issues. Springfield came back and said they got good results. The Pew Pew tactical guys said they still could not reproduce those results.

If you're watching a a video like that, some other M1A/M14 videos probably show up as recommendations. While I was watching that video, a series of videos by "hrfunk" showed up where he develops a handload for his M1A. He then proceeds to get better results with a Loaded M1A than the Pew Pew Tactical guys got with a NM M1A.

I've noticed that the folks who do not like the M1A/M14 also gripe about the "cult" of M1A/M14 fans. They complain that any criticism of the rifle results in a flood of responses to defend the rifle and slam the critic. A couple times, I have seen references to this forum.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It does not take much searching on Youtube to find videos showing that the M1A/M14 is a poor performer. And expensive to boot. Some of the reviewers caveat in their videos that maybe they are using faulty techniques. I think the guys at Pew Pew Tactical said they sent their rifle into Springfield detailing their issues. Springfield came back and said they got good results. The Pew Pew tactical guys said they still could not reproduce those results.

If you're watching a a video like that, some other M1A/M14 videos probably show up as recommendations. While I was watching that video, a series of videos by "hrfunk" showed up where he develops a handload for his M1A. He then proceeds to get better results with a Loaded M1A than the Pew Pew Tactical guys got with a NM M1A.

I've noticed that the folks who do not like the M1A/M14 also gripe about the "cult" of M1A/M14 fans. They complain that any criticism of the rifle results in a flood of responses to defend the rifle and slam the critic. A couple times, I have seen references to this forum.
Those are worth watching.

I believe he is a member here as well.

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
With over 50 M14 types in the herd, I have to keep assembling them just to see which one I hate the most. So far the Rogue gets the most hate mail. Before this, a Socom II that I bought already built was on the bottom of the ship list. I still prefer even these contraptions over an M-16 poodle popper.

[URL=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/P1010020.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hurmph . . .

The cult of the M14 is nowhere near the legion that is the Cult of St. Eugene.

Try telling them the Stoner did not invent the gas key addition to the bolt carrier, or the buffer, the two things that make the thing work. Or, that most of the work scaling the AR-10 down to be the AR-15 was done by Fremont and Sullivan. Or, that he screwed up designing the cartridge, which was the cause of much of the early problems*. Or it's not the best design ever**.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #188

I noticed the Pew Pew Guys had a hodge podge of different ammo they run through their M1As, everything from 145gr .308 ammo to 180gr .308 ammo which no doubt gave them inconsistent results. I've found my M1A prefers rounds from 150 gr to 168gr. Thats what it groups best with. Others MMV. The guys at Pew Pew didn't seem like they enjoyed shooting the rifles cause they gave allot of grief about shooting so much .308. I took that as they couldn't handle the recoil. They also didn't strike me as all too informed on M14 types, outside of the fact it has a trigger and bullets fed from the magazine will cycle and fire through the gun when said trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
My mouth just hit the floor. I knew you were an avid M14 owner but man you're on a whole other lever! Thats an awesome collection!
Thank you Sir. The majority of them, about 60%, were built using USGI parts and all but 5 are on forged receivers.
A side note, there are a number of presentation grade walnut stocks in that photo. As you can plainly see, I do like my optics too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Thank you Sir. The majority of them, about 60%, were built using USGI parts and all but 5 are on forged receivers.
A side note, there are a number of presentation grade walnut stocks in that photo. As you can plainly see, I do like my optics too.
Awesome. You have a great collection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dunno if this was already discussed, as this thread is pretty lengthy, but sometimes I wonder if the dislike towards the M1A and M14 type rifles these days is due to the poor quality of the Springfield commercial M1As seen by some folks.

The Springfield M1A is not a cheap rifle - it was expensive (at least to me) even when I was younger. And when I was younger, you could hand select some really neat milsurps on the cheap. The M14 was my grail rifle as a teen. I didn't shoot one till I got out of the service in my mid-20s. I shot three different Springfield M1As my buddies had - one was a National Match (by name at least) and the other two were standard Springfield M1A fare. Now, this was a small sample set of course, but I was really underwhelmed. All three were nowhere near as accurate as I had thought they would be. The fit of them was poor as well - lot of rattle as I recall. I left thinking those rifles were hot garbage considering the price. Really soured my opinion of the rifle, and no way I would lay down the money for a rifle like that. Reading the reviews of the Springfield Super Match rifles revealed a number of dissatisfied customers. Just Google search M1A Super Match Reviews - and read some first hand experience of costly disappointment.

I know there are other M14 style makes out there. I am not very knowledgeable on the M14 pattern, as I chased other type rifles over the years. however, the commercial Springfield always seemed the most prevalent. I am not really a fan of a lot of the stuff under the commercial Springfield name. What I liked most was the old Imbel SAR series imports they had years ago, which they had not a whole heck of a lot to do with other than importation. And of course every company has its lemons (I collect Colts, so I am familiar with with lemons in the otherwise healthy batch). But I think some quality control in the Springfield M1A arena may have soured some of the public - at least that is my opinion on my own anecdotal experience.

I traded into a Super Match pieced together by a USMC armorer, which likely dates to the late 80s / 90s, and wow what a great rifle! I traded a FAL paratrooper for it - and to be honest, I did so because I was still smitten with the camo McMillan Stock and sold on the story of Marine provenance. I am happy I did so, because it opened my eyes to how this can be a great rifle (amazing sights for us who like iron-sight shooting) when done right.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Interestingly, M1A price hasn't changed much over the years. I bought my standard rifle for $1200 in the early '90s, yet AR prices have dropped overall and AKs have steadily increased.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I dunno if this was already discussed, as this thread is pretty lengthy, but sometimes I wonder if the dislike towards the M1A and M14 type rifles these days is due to the poor quality of the Springfield commercial M1As seen by some folks.
Like any product, there will be folks who are disappointed with their SAI M1A's. I am not one of them and I have friends who are also pleased with their SAI M1A rifles. If you have an issue, SAI is great company and will work to make things right.

I personally think that much of the dissatisfaction with M14 type rifles is the lack of familiarity with these rifles among the general public. Many of us older guys have had lots of experience with M1's and M14 type rifles. Their use is sort of second nature to us but it is very different for folks who have only known AR type rifles. AR type rifles have totally different ergonomics. I have seen some videos of young guys shooting M14 type rifles and many of them look so uncomfortable with the rifle that it is hard to watch.

·
NSR
1,425 Posts
Gents,

I got back into M1A's/M-14's about five years ago after selling my rifle. When my current builds get done I'll have seven and am stopping there...everything from a stock build to several match rifles and a EBR. A nice set up to be sure.
Then there is my baby "Celia Phayte" that is set up as a DMR.

Now Tony Ben is working on a McMillan M3A stocked, heavy barreled, double lugged tactical rifle for me. That is going to be a real peach to say the least.

So, what's this about hating the M-14 platform? I love mine...

Semper Fi,

Wes

·
Registered
348 Posts
I will admit to having some festering M14 hate.USN4

I hate that I still lack a firing pin and a barrel to to fully populate the CMP "A" kit I bought "back in the day", which ultimately will adorn the Fulton receiver I bought just before exiting the DPRK [California] to retire to my mountain top rancho in rural Reno, Nevada.

But I really, really, REALLY hate that the rest of the goodies to adorn my $75 Bula receiver represent a BOATLOAD of ducats (fixed income now) yet to spend... I have a spare M1 RS assembly, bolt , stock,.... and need all else less the installed clip guide & pin which was the freebie that came with the receiver to "sweeten" the deal.

The horses, donkeys, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, professional cats [barn] and grandkids take precedence.

Life is tough.....but the alternative is much less rewarding. I'll just keep plugging away... until done.USN3

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Like any product, there will be folks who are disappointed with their SAI M1A's. I am not one of them and I have friends who are also pleased with their SAI M1A rifles. If you have an issue, SAI is great company and will work to make things right.

I personally think that much of the dissatisfaction with M14 type rifles is the lack of familiarity with these rifles among the general public. Many of us older guys have had lots of experience with M1's and M14 type rifles. Their use is sort of second nature to us but it is very different for folks who have only known AR type rifles. AR type rifles have totally different ergonomics. I have seen some videos of young guys shooting M14 type rifles and many of them look so uncomfortable with the rifle that it is hard to watch.
I'm of a younger generation (34) and love my M1A. I'm not a fan of ARs (although I own one). I get more satisfaction out of shooting my M1A than other firearms I have. It's a Springfield standard and it's more accurate than I am right now. I love the pursuit of refining my marksmanship skills and getting consistent.

I think my generation and younger are all wrapped up in sub-MOA accuracy and if a rifle doesn't do that out of the box, it's no good. I also believe a majority of them don't have the drive or patience to refine their skills.

My understanding is that the M14/M1A platform was a battle rifle that was accurate to minute of man. It wasn't designed to be a sub-MOA rifle unless heavily worked on. I knew that when I bought my rifle and wasn't looking for match grade accurate.

For me, it's a joy to shoot, makes me a better marksman, is accurate enough if I ever have to use it defensively, and is reliable and built like a tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I'm of a younger generation (34) and love my M1A. I'm not a fan of ARs (although I own one). I get more satisfaction out of shooting my M1A than other firearms I have. It's a Springfield standard and it's more accurate than I am right now. I love the pursuit of refining my marksmanship skills and getting consistent.

I think my generation and younger are all wrapped up in sub-MOA accuracy and if a rifle doesn't do that out of the box, it's no good. I also believe a majority of them don't have the drive or patience to refine their skills.

My understanding is that the M14/M1A platform was a battle rifle that was accurate to minute of man. It wasn't designed to be a sub-MOA rifle unless heavily worked on. I knew that when I bought my rifle and wasn't looking for match grade accurate.

For me, it's a joy to shoot, makes me a better marksman, is accurate enough if I ever have to use it defensively, and is reliable and built like a tank.
I have to agree, there are folks in the younger gen that have no patience for making themselves better shooters, or refining their firearms accuracy potential out side of throwing a scope on it. I also have an AR15, I see the M1A and AR15 as equals and both are very accurate in their own right. I like to achieve sub MOA groupings when I can but rarely do I ever achieve sub MOA with factory ammo. Out of either my M1A or AR15. When I started reloading for my Argentine 7.65mm 1909 Mauser at 16 years old I realized that reloading is the best way to achieve better accuracy with your rifle. I've been reloading for my rifles ever since ;)

181 - 200 of 210 Posts