M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question I would like to hear your guys opinion on, as lately even on older videos on youtube and articles across the web I've noticed an increase in people who seem all to happy to express their hate for the M14 platform. Whether these people themselves have ever had trigger time behind an M1A/M14 is up for question. But it seems to be a topic sharply divided into two camps, people who absolutely love the rifle and people who absolutely hate it for one reason or another. I love my M1A but I also love my AR15 and consider the two as equal rifle systems. I would like to hear what you guys think on this matter?

·
Registered
621 Posts
What's the general reason for this "hatred"?

I love my M1A, don't really care how anyone else feels about them. What's to hate, anyway? It's accurate, it's a widely-used caliber and cartridge and ammo is plentiful, it's beautiful to look at, it's reliable. It may be a bit pudgy to tote around, but they do make slings for them.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This is a question I would like to hear your guys opinion on, as lately even on older videos on youtube and articles across the web I've noticed an increase in people who seem all to happy to express their hate for the M14 platform. Whether these people themselves have ever had trigger time behind an M1A/M14 is up for question. But it seems to be a topic sharply divided into two camps, people who absolutely love the rifle and people who absolutely hate it for one reason or another. I love my M1A but I also love my AR15 and consider the two as equal rifle systems. I would like to hear what you guys think on this matter?
I agree with the statement that hate has risen as of late.

I think the camp divide largely comes from the AR/SCAR crowd. Like you, I own, shoot, and like ARs. Very few (though some) here truly dislike ARs. One major argument against the M14 platform of rifles is the cost. My M1A Standard cost about $1300 or so. My AR10/MP10 cost $800 shipped and it shoots as well if not better than my M1A -heck, I even took it hunting this fall with great success (still too heavy for long treks... but that is another topic of discussion). The 556/AR crowd also wins on the ammo cost argument. The AR crowd also owns the ease of optics implementation argument over the M14.

I do find it a bit odd that the rise in interest for mil surps (old wood and steel) has inversely correlated with an appreciation (increased number of haters) for the M14 platform of rifles.

But it is true. One can get a more accurate and affordable platform than the M14. It is also true the military has had a very hard time finding a reason to totally disband the M14. The M14 holds an odd niche in firearms history -the gun that maybe should not have been as it was inherently "oudated" at the time of its conception, yet still works really well... even to this day. Virtually all haters of the M14 are blind to these facts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the general reason for this "hatred"?

I love my M1A, don't really care how anyone else feels about them. What's to hate, anyway? It's accurate, it's a widely-used caliber and cartridge and ammo is plentiful, it's beautiful to look at, it's reliable. It may be a bit pudgy to tote around, but they do make slings for them.
Well, see thats the thing alot of the hate I see for them comes from many areas. Price, Weight, the tired "It was obsolete from the day it was introduced".etc. I believe alot of the haters would change their mind if they were able to get behind the trigger of one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the statement that hate has risen as of late.

I think the camp divide largely comes from the AR/SCAR crowd. Like you, I own, shoot, and like ARs. Very few (though some) here truly dislike ARs. One major argument against the M14 platform of rifles is the cost. My M1A Standard cost about $1300 or so. My AR10/MP10 cost $800 shipped and it shoots as well if not better than my M1A -heck, I even took it hunting this fall with great success (still too heavy for long treks... but that is another topic of discussion). The 556/AR crowd also wins on the ammo cost argument. The AR crowd also owns the ease of optics implementation argument over the M14.

I do find it a bit odd that the rise in interest for mil surps (old wood and steel) has inversely correlated with an appreciation (increased number of haters) for the M14 platform of rifles.

But it is true. One can get a more accurate and affordable platform than the M14. It is also true the military has had a very hard time finding a reason to totally disband the M14. The M14 holds an odd niche in firearms history -the gun that maybe should not have been as it was inherently "oudated" at the time of its conception, yet still works really well... even to this day. Virtually all haters of the M14 are blind to these facts.
I agree with you. I think alot of people believe that since the M1A is "old" it can't be made into an accurate rifle. I have about $450+ in add ons to mine and I can get sub MOA with reloads if I'm on my game.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know anyone that hates the platform. What internet haters say is of no consequence.
That is true. I have just noticed an increase of it and was curious if others have as well. Its great rifle and I have carried mine through the woods often!

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
My .02

It's not about this weapon or that one - I have many weapons - new, old, rifles, pistols, shotguns etc. and love each in a different way. How can anyone really hate a rifle, pistol, shotgun or a specific weapon? Clearly some are better than others depending on the task at hand, but come on hate?

When someone takes up an aggressive position that one system is superior to another and are willing to argue about it they are pretty much "Candy Asses" IMHO. Many of the military weapons have a very interesting history and if you are willing to learn about why the system was developed and its purpose, it is very interesting. Those that hate the M14 can't really understand the history, longevity and capability of the platform. I developed a deep admiration for the M14 later in my life and I have studied a lot about the rifle, variations, manufacturing, stocks and have a great appreciation.

Most that openly say they hate the M14 and do youtube videos and articles must not have any perspective at all.

I will end by saying when I go to the range and quietly pull out my replica XM21, or my M14 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor or another one of my clones and begin putting rounds down range folks are always interested in talking and ask a lot of questions. The same is true when folks come over to my house and I take them down to my shop - they like many of the weapons I have, but when I pull out the M14's it's game over!

3 weeks ago I was visiting my son in Mississippi and brought 2 M14's and a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle I just built and we went to his outdoor range. Most were shooting AR15, some AR10 and bolt action guns. We sighted in the new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle and shot about 40 more rounds. They had steel set up at 300 yards and after the range cycled and went hot I pulled out my M14 and was banging the steel for fun with ease! Needless to say about 10 guys came over to take a close look and talk - no haters - maybe lovers?

I suppose I don't care at all about the haters -> they probably have an M14 and go in the closet and play with it where no one can see them!

M1Army

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Some folks simply just don't know how to shoot, so they blame the firearm. RNGR2

They can't hit anything with a rifle unless it has a pistol grip and a two pound trigger. Many have no concept of iron sights.

Same goes for pistols. The only ones they can hit anything with are 1911's and glocks. Give them a double action revolver with a 7 lb trigger and they are useless.

It's a shame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My .02

It's not about this weapon or that one - I have many weapons - new, old, rifles, pistols, shotguns etc. and love each in a different way. How can anyone really hate a rifle, pistol, shotgun or a specific weapon? Clearly some are better than others depending on the task at hand, but come on hate?

When someone takes up an aggressive position that one system is superior to another and are willing to argue about it they are pretty much "Candy Asses" IMHO. Many of the military weapons have a very interesting history and if you are willing to learn about why the system was developed and its purpose, it is very interesting. Those that hate the M14 can't really understand the history, longevity and capability of the platform. I developed a deep admiration for the M14 later in my life and I have studied a lot about the rifle, variations, manufacturing, stocks and have a great appreciation.

Most that openly say they hate the M14 and do youtube videos and articles must not have any perspective at all.

I will end by saying when I go to the range and quietly pull out my replica XM21, or my M14 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor or another one of my clones and begin putting rounds down range folks are always interested in talking and ask a lot of questions. The same is true when folks come over to my house and I take them down to my shop - they like many of the weapons I have, but when I pull out the M14's it's game over!

3 weeks ago I was visiting my son in Mississippi and brought 2 M14's and a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle I just built and we went to his outdoor range. Most were shooting AR15, some AR10 and bolt action guns. We sighted in the new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle and shot about 40 more rounds. They had steel set up at 300 yards and after the range cycled and went hot I pulled out my M14 and was banging the steel for fun with ease! Needless to say about 10 guys came over to take a close look and talk - no haters - maybe lovers?

I suppose I don't care at all about the haters -> they probably have an M14 and go in the closet and play with it where no one can see them!

M1Army
Thanks for your reply and for your range stories. I too get alot of people come over and look at my M1A when I have it on the range, all my friends who I've let shoot it over the years love it too! I even have a friend who said they would punch me for a mile if I ever sold it LOL. I think the haters are just an online thing I guess and I've argued and seen alot of them. I bet in person they would probably gladly shoot an M1A if someone let them. The ones that have a real seething hatred for the M14 probably don't get out and shoot alot to begin with.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some folks simply just don't know how to shoot, so they blame the firearm. RNGR2

They can't hit anything with a rifle unless it has a pistol grip and a two pound trigger. Many have no concept of iron sights.

Same goes for pistols. The only ones they can hit anything with are 1911's and glocks. Give them a double action revolver with a 7 lb trigger and they are useless.

It's a shame.
My goodness is that true!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If people hate it so much, why is it when I show up at the range with it, almost everyone I offer to let shoot it, does?

When I offer to let them shoot it more than once there is no hesitation.
Well I suppose the old saying is true " Those who yell the loudest are in the smallest group" Same can be said of M14 haters I believe. It must being an internet only trend.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Often repeated internet M14 opinions:

“Fussy and hard to keep accurate” - Well not so much with modern bedding compounds
that can last the life of the barrel. Mitch Mateiko at Brookfield also had a solution for
this problem 20+ years ago with the BPT stock liner. The SAGE and JAE stocks also
address the problem. Basically people on the internet just repeat this stuff over and
over again because that is what they heard from someone else that is equally as
ignorant and ill informed and think the M14 shoots itself apart every other trip to the
range.

“Heavy” - While an AR10 may be a pound or two lighter, if we are talking precision rifles
with medium to heavy barrels and long range optics, none of them are exactly
light weight. My friend has an AR10 and it is on the lighter side. I find the
recoil rather obnoxious compared to an M14. Lighter rifle equals more recoil
so there is no free lunch.

“Hard to scope” - Not as easy as an AR for sure but adequate and durable solutions exist.
Where the AR wins is the Picatinny rail hand guards that are common.
Makes it easier for military and the police to mount IR and other
accessories. The Smith Tri Rail, or SAGE add this capability to the M14
but it doesn’t offer all the options an AR does and the SAGE carries
a substantial weight penalty.

“Expensive” - This is where the AR really wins and the M14 loses. I could probably build
two nice precision ARs for the cost of one M14. The M14 also takes a
skilled pair of hands to put it together and is beyond the ability of the
average person to put together. With YouTube and a few tools a good AR
can be put together in the basement.

I like ARs. In fact I just bought two Aero M5 receivers. I want to build a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 and see how it compares to my two M14s in 6.5 CM. While I love ARs, I still feel the most comfortable and at home behind an M14. The M14 will still get the job done just fine. In today’s world it is harder to make the case for the cost associated with an M14 over an AR. You have to WANT to shoot an M14, and I do.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It's the "culture" these days.

People love to get upset about something that doesn't even affect them.

Who is forced to carry/shoot and M14/M1A?

If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that. Wasting their time complaining about something that has no effect on them if fine, but please, don't make the mistake of thinking any of us that like/use M1A's give a rat's hairy posterior about what those types of people think/feel.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hate for the M14 is the new popular wisdom. Which means it is the new popular stupidity.

It is increasing because it has become popular to hate it. If you belong to a certain crowd and want to demonstrate that you one of the knowledgeable people, you write a piece about how the M14 is a terrible rifle. Everyone in your crowd claps and nods, because you have demonstrated the popular wisdom. Gather any ten of the articles and they all just repeat the same tired points. Nobody has an original thought on why M14 is a bad rifle.

Most of the hate articles have to do with modern shooters not being able shoot well with traditional stocks, not being able to shoot well without optics, not being able to shoot well with a cartridge that recoils more than 5.56mm NATO, and not being able to adapt to a manual of arms that is different from the AR-15. The pieces say more about the writers than the M14, but a lot of readers can't tell the difference.

The M14 does have real deficiencies and real disadvantages compared to modern rifles. In spite of that, it has been in service longer than any other US military rifle because it also has real strengths. The US military does not keep junk that doesn't work in service for seven decades. The fact is that it works well enough that it hasn't been worth the cost to replace it, just like the haters' beloved M16/M4.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts