M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to make a stock like this without losing an arm and a leg. I know alot of people will say they are worth it just do it. But right now I just do not have the cash.

anyone have a how to they would share?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am wanting to make a stock like this without losing an arm and a leg. I know alot of people will say they are worth it just do it. But right now I just do not have the cash.

anyone have a how to they would share?

:) Yeah, it is easy and simple too.

A company called Mako used to make an AR15 pistol grip/stock adapter for the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 shotguns. You can find them on Ebay still. I used the mossy 500 version.

You can cut the grip and butt off an M1A stock, drill a hole and dremel a "C" shaped cut into the stock. Fill the cut with epoxy to make a perfect fit and mate up the adapter. You'll need a longer bolt and a nut to secure the adapter to the M14 stock. After it all sets, it is quite solid. Then you can mount whatever AR15 furniture you like.

A few things to note with this project: if you're serious about trying it, jump on the Mako adapter as soon as you find one. They are discontinued.

Unless you counter sink the nut on the inside of the stock, you have to take care to make sure the bolt won't hit it on its rearward travel.

The M14 action sits slightly off-center in the stock (right side is thicker than the left - for the now non-existant selector switch). You need to drill the hole off center to compensate.

Take care to mount the adapter such that the trigger guard can still pivot out for breaking the gun down. Alternatively, you can modify the adapter a bit as well.

It is super easy and it all becomes apparent as soon as you have the parts in your hands.

·
Banned
5 Posts
CM Mfg Stock

I got one of these, the fixed model, not the folding one. I put on an mil-spec tube & a magpul ctr buttstock. It is made with a usgi fiberglass stock to start & came with an ar pistolgrip. It fits the action tight & it shoots as good or better than my wood or usgi fiberglass stock. Check them out, Joe is good to work with & my stock was delivered in 3 weeks.

www (dot) cmmanufacturing (dot) com

I'll still keep my wood & usgi fiberglass stocks, but this is a little better for handling & more compact than a standard stock profile & for less $ than a vltor or mcbros, but they are both very fine, the mcmillan being the cadillac in my opinion. I don't know how or want to add pic's to this, so pm me for pic's with an email address I can send pic's of mine if you want to see it on my rifle.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Frankenrifle stock Mk.1 Mod.6(?)

I did one that went through multiple mods (I lost count!) over a couple of years. I'm REALLY happy with it. It's very light weight and enhances control. Optics use is a joy. (never mind the POS reddot in the photo- it's long gone. It also usually wears a Magpul CTR buttstock)

I'm thinking of doing a Mk.2 w/ a shorter possible length of pull and MAYBE some integral accuracy enhancements, but I'm two or three months in and am still in the "ciphering" stage!

Link to some detail shots of my ugliness:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b...14 tech/M14 stock photos/M14 modified stocks/

BTW, lots of adjustment possible mostly to see the recoil effect of having the bore centerline BELOW the c/l of the buttplate. Interesting tests, but OT.:

GI3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not sure why anyone is recommending cmmanufacturing as an affordable alternative. They cost more than the Vltor. (By $20-$60 depending on where you buy the Vltor)

You would get the faster, because of Vltor's backorder issue, but you would lose a lot of versitile components that the Vltor has.

Now, in my personal opinion, if the cmmanufacturing finish didn't look like ass, I would have ordered one tonight, because who knows when Vltor will start shipping theirs out.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thats a pretty cool design. Thanks for sharing.

Did you make that scope mount too?
Thanks!
It's kinda ugly, esp. now that the "gen-you-wine" spray paint has worn a bit, but it's really performed above expectations. It started out as a throw away prototype (of a one-off production run!), but I think I'll keep it. Mk.2 Stock is still in the planning stages, as mentioned above.

Even hogged out material on the inside curve to save weight. Pins and screws yet to be trimmed!

The mount's an old Brookfield Precision. Sadlak makes them now, w/ some changes. I used to have some old pre-1913 spec. Springfield Inc. mount on the rifle used during the work-up (HIGHLY modified until it wasn't complete poo...), but this mount is pretty good, so it's replaced the SAI thing.GI7

Oh, if you are referring to the mount for the modded Wilson Combat BUIS, it is a close-out thing that I saw on Numrich's web site some years ago. It too, isn't "as purchased" because the "Weaver rail "/1913 rail wasn't! Too big, bad slots, etc. Good idea, poor execution. Wish I'd bought more of 'em, even in their unusable "as-is" state.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A company called Mako used to make an AR15 pistol grip/stock adapter for the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 shotguns. You can find them on Ebay still. I used the mossy 500 version.
I must be a glutton for punishment... found and ordered a Mako pistol grip to put on my plastic SA stock. Once getting started, I'll post some pics for ya'll to hee-haw at.

Looking around, I see Ace has an adapter to make a folder out of this rig. I gotta try it. Always wanted a tight para stock with a nana clip. BANANA1

·
Registered
362 Posts
I must be a glutton for punishment... found and ordered a Mako pistol grip to put on my plastic SA stock. Once getting started, I'll post some pics for ya'll to hee-haw at.

Looking around, I see Ace has an adapter to make a folder out of this rig. I gotta try it. Always wanted a tight para stock with a nana clip. BANANA1
Good for you! I like the way mine came out. I wish I had thought to take pics along the way as a howto.. but I just sort of put it together on a lark. To tell you the truth, I never even got around to buying a buttstock for it. I used my AR's stock temporarily for testing, but I keep my M1A's in wood furniture.. does the ACE thingy fold to the left? If so, I'd think it would work fine (no chance to interfere with the op-rod handle).

I realize this sort of thing disgusts a lot of the purists around here, and thats OK.. DIY solutions aren't for everyone. They are appreciated a lot more by the AK crowd though, that is for sure! But then, duct tape is the #1 accessory for the AK to begin with MCORPS1

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here's the left folder... Kinda pricey. I'll be sure the Mako is way tight before buying the Ace folder.
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_78&products_id=332

If it all works out, that'd be around $200 for a tight M1A folding pack gun.
Lots better than what VLTOR, CMM and McMillan is asking for their mod stocks.
I just hope the Mako grip stays tight. Need some bad 2d bone glue, for sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's the left folder... Kinda pricey. I'll be sure the Mako is way tight before buying the Ace folder.
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_78&products_id=332

If it all works out, that'd be around $200 for a tight M1A folding pack gun.
Lots better than what VLTOR, CMM and McMillan is asking for their mod stocks.
I just hope the Mako grip stays tight. Need some bad 2d bone glue, for sure.
If you want to permanently glue the mako in place, you'll need to rough up the surface pretty good.. its quite smooth.

I didn't do that. I just cut and drilled the stock, and made a C-shaped groove in it to fit the Mossberg 500 grip face. I used some quick-set epoxy to essentially bed the whole thing for a precise fit, but the Mako grip comes off if I unbolt it.

Its quite tight, and I have about 200 rounds through it with no problems.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I like the Ace stocks. I put one on a Saiga 12 not long ago. Then sold the Saiga to someone who just HAD to have it...

Regarding the punishment under recoil, if the plastic DOES bond well it should be OK. My Frankenstock was at one point merely held together at the wood/aluminum interface by kind thoughts and a light interference fit (so I could easily dis-assemble it whilst making mods). Shot it that way, even. Probably 2-300 rounds w/ only friction keeping things together! It's got a few thousand rounds under it's belt since I added a "positive retention" device- aka a drywall screw!GI8

Of course, if you look closely, you'll see that there's a LOT of contact area on my stock's interface. Much more than just a flat surface.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't take much to hold this stuff together for shooting purposes. If you're going to try to break car windows with your buttstock, you probably want a vltor.. but then your life is probably on the line too; so who cares about $600? But yeah.. drywall screws are how we get it done over in the Saiga forums! lol

With the Mako/Mossberg setup, there is a single 1/4" bolt through the center with washers on the inside of the M1A stock. A good steel bolt is plenty strong enough, and when tightened down good its all rock solid. The "C" groove in the flat surface is to prevent the adapter from spinning around the bolt axis, and doesn't really bear any load.

I'm actually glad the epoxy didn't adhere.. since the M1A stock now accepts Mossberg fittings, at some point I might buy a Knoxx recoil absorbing stock and try it out.. just to see what happens. That way I have a built in excuse to buy a 590A1 after I put the USGI wood back on the M1A. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm actually glad the epoxy didn't adhere.. since the M1A stock now accepts Mossberg fittings, at some point I might buy a Knoxx recoil absorbing stock and try it out.. just to see what happens. That way I have a built in excuse to buy a 590A1 after I put the USGI wood back on the M1A. :)
I'm using the ITT/Enidine recoil absorbing buttstock extention on the above rifle. Between that and the modded SEI muzzle brake it feels like shooting a 5.56! Agonized a little over the added weight when the stock was on a std weight barreled rifle, but it's no real concern with the current HB w/bipod version. Gets a little counter weight to improve balance.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
you fellas have given me pause to think about how secure I want the Mako before committing to a pricey buttstock. My philosophy is more like Tim Taylor's... "more power"!! Once I get the Mako handle trimmed real tight, I gotta glue and screw it.

That said... anybody know what kinda PVC/JB weld combo glue to use for a permanent weld?

·
Registered
362 Posts
you fellas have given me pause to think about how secure I want the Mako before committing to a pricey buttstock. My philosophy is more like Tim Taylor's... "more power"!! Once I get the Mako handle trimmed real tight, I gotta glue and screw it.

That said... anybody know what kinda PVC/JB weld combo glue to use for a permanent weld?
If you really want a permanent attachment, I would drill a few small additional holes for pins in both the adapter and the stock. Rough up all the surfaces, slather it up with gorilla glue (works well for plastics in my experience) pin it, and bolt it down.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you really want a permanent attachment, I would drill a few small additional holes for pins in both the adapter and the stock. Rough up all the surfaces, slather it up with gorilla glue (works well for plastics in my experience) pin it, and bolt it down.
Got the Mako grip in the mail today. Very nice! Really has a swoll palm area to fit my ham hand.
Gonna find some gorilla glue next time in town... Thanks!! BEERCHUG1

1 - 20 of 40 Posts